Pro Bono Manager
Pro Bono Manager
Birmingham and Bristol
22.5 hours per week (3 days a week with one day in Bristol), fixed term maternity cover contract
We seek a solicitor or barrister to help supervise and manage the BPP Pro Bono Centre’s projects at BPP Law School branches in Birmingham and Bristol. The Centre’s projects all involve engaging law students to volunteer their legal skills and knowledge to help members of the public who might not otherwise have access to such assistance. We seek someone to fulfil the following roles:
- To be a Centre staff contact for our students in two locations;
- To manage some of the Centre’s projects; and
- To supervise some of the students’ work on the Centre’s various projects.
This person will work closely with the Centre’s Directors, Administrators, Pro Bono Managers and Supervising Solicitors who are all based in other locations.
Qualified barristers or solicitors with a background in civil litigation are particularly encouraged to apply.
About the BPP Pro Bono Centre:
The Centre’s projects all involve encouraging law students to volunteer their legal skills and knowledge to help improve access to justice to the vulnerable in society.
The successful candidate’s duties will include the following:
- To run and develop the Streetlaw projects in both locations working closely with the Streetlaw Supervising Solicitor and Streetlaw Project based in other sites;
- To run the PSU partnership project in Birmingham and Bristol;
- To run the Tribunal Services project and ELTAL in both locations;
- To manage external partnerships in Birmingham and Bristol, such as work shadowing and internship projects;
- To work with the Supervising Solicitor for the Human Rights Unit (based in London) to share opportunities with students in Birmingham and Bristol and oversee events run by the regional Human Rights Units;
- To design, co-ordinate, implement and manage additional projects engaging students at BPP Birmingham and Bristol law schools;
- To support the new BPTC team in Bristol with the law in practice module of the course;
- To work with students to build contacts in the Birmingham and Bristol areas;
- To sit on the Law Society Pro Bono Committee in Birmingham and Pro Bono Network Group in Bristol;
- To advise students how they can become involved in pro bono work in person, by phone, by email and using digital media;
- To recruit and train student volunteers from among BPP law students in Birmingham and Bristol;
- To maximise the clinical legal education value of the students’ work;
- To promote the culture and ethic of pro bono among the students;
- To recruit and liaise with volunteer supervisors from among BPP lecturers and externalsolicitors;
- To help coordinate and support fundraising initiatives in both locations; and
- To undertake any other duties related to the post.
Skills, knowledge and experience required for role
- Qualification as a solicitor/barrister in England & Wales
- Significant PQE
- Proficiency and experience in civil litigation law particularly in employment, housing, debt or family.
- An understanding of and commitment to the role of pro bono in the provision of legal services
- Knowledge of the free legal and law-related services available to the public
- Excellent organisational and management skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills and ability to convey complex information in an accessible way
- An ability to explain the law clearly and simply both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritise tasks
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to use computer and information technology
- Initiative and motivation
- Experience working in higher education or training
- Knowledge and/or experience of mediation
- Project or team management experience
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to undergo an Enhanced DBS check.
For details on how to apply, please visit: https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/bpp/displayjob.aspx?jobid=1826