Lead Legal Adviser
Lead Legal Adviser
Based in London/Leeds
Salary circa £65,000 - £76,000 (neg) depending on experience and location. Plus strong package including 12% pension, PMI, Health cashplan + More.
The Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the leading provider of professional protection to doctors, dentists and health professionals. We are a not-for-profit mutual organisation that serves more than 300,000 members in the United Kingdom and overseas. We employ more than 800 members of staff split across three offices in the UK, with additional staff based in Australia and New Zealand.
Our in-house experts assist with the wide range of legal and ethical problems that arise from professional practice. This includes clinical negligence claims, complaints, medical and dental council inquiries, legal and ethical dilemmas, disciplinary procedures, inquests and fatal accident inquiries.
Our Legal Department has a requirement for a Lead Legal Adviser on a permanent contract based in either our Leeds or London office.
As a Lead Legal Adviser you will be responsible for leading and supporting a team of Legal Advisers and Legal Assistants, whilst providing legal advice and support to colleagues and our members.
This position will also be responsible for handling more complex Regulatory and Inquest cases whilst participating in projects and from time to time.
- Lead, coach and performance manage Legal Advisers and Legal Assistants, working to meet and exceed targets
- Act as the escalation point for any technical issues and handle more complex cases with assistance from the team
- Monitor proposals for changes to legislation and external factors that may affect MPS
- Act as a knowledgeable and technical expert for legal advisers and case management teams, remaining up to date with current principles of law
- Assist with the training and supervision of legally and non- legally qualified staff
- Must be a practicing Solicitor, member of CILEX, or Barrister with relevant experience
- Must have at least 10 years post-admission experience in medical/ dental regulatory proceedings
- Significant experience in conducting and managing Healthcare Regulatory and Inquest cases
- Experience of leading and performance managing a team in a legal environment, and leading through change, including developing and reporting on operational management information.
In order to apply for this role please send you CV along with your current salary and salary expectations to email@example.com