Assistant Internal Counsel
About Big Society Capital:
Big Society Capital’s mission is to develop a sustainable social investment market in the UK, so that charities and social enterprises can grow their positive impact on society.
BSC is a globally unique organisation, set up in 2012 to be a champion of social investment and a social investor itself. In its first 5 years, together with its co-investors, BSC has helped over £467m of capital reach over 400 different charities and social enterprises. It has also played a major role in improving the enterprise, investor and policy environment in which social investments are made.
BSC has recently launched our new strategy for 2018 – 2020. This strategy is a natural evolution from the last 5 years. To deepen our impact in the coming years, we are going to focus our effort more on three areas where our experience has shown us that there is a particular opportunity for social investment to make a difference: homes for those in need, supporting communities to improve lives and early action to prevent harm.
Purpose of role:
An opportunity has arisen within the Big Society Capital legal and compliance team. The candidate will work closely with, and report to the Internal Counsel. Primarily the role will assist the investment team in working with external legal counsel and investee organisations in order to execute all investment commitments made by the BSC Investment Committee. The successful candidate will also assist colleagues in the legal and compliance team with corporate and commercial matters to aid compliance with relevant governance, regulatory and legislative requirements.
The internal legal and regulatory work will include drafting and negotiating research contracts, website hosting contracts, non-disclosure agreements and other commercial contracts and assisting with BSC’s compliance monitoring programme and regulatory returns.
In respect of BSC’s investments, which typically take the form of loans, fund investments and equity, supporting the preparation of term sheets and assisting with structuring of investments, and supporting the negotiation and completion of investment documentation.
The role will give the successful candidate broad exposure to all areas of BSC’s work although the candidate will spend the majority of their time between working on internal corporate/commercial matters alongside colleagues in the legal and compliance team and with the investment team. The candidate will also work with all other teams on any relevant legal issues that arise.
The key external relationships for this role will be external counsel (of BSC), investee organisations and their legal counsel, and co-investors with BSC.
- Support the Investment team with term sheet discussions and identifying and addressing initial legal issues in respect of a proposed investment
- Alongside colleagues in the legal and compliance team, assist with the negotiation of the legal documentation, representing BSC and working with co-investors, and assist with the completion process for BSC’s investments
- Alongside colleagues in the legal and compliance team, maintain a knowledge of BSC’s legal obligations and make sure BSC has all necessary documentation in place and properly stored
- Participate in the management of investments over their lifetime, including any amendments to legal documentation and any waivers that may be required
- Participate in the process to dispose of investments
- Support colleagues in the legal and compliance team with administrative matters relating to instructing and working with external counsel
- Support the Internal Counsel and Compliance Officer with regulatory matters and addressing internal regulatory compliance queries
- Complete projects and research to support the social investment market in relation to law and financial regulation
- Support the Internal Counsel and Compliance Officer with reviewing new legislation and implementing consequential changes to BSC’s processes and policies
General corporate/commercial work:
- Help other teams (Operations Group (including Finance, Operations and HR) and the Engagement Group (comprising Communications, Social Sector Engagement and Investor Engagement)) to address legal questions when they arise
- Alongside colleagues in the legal and compliance team, draft and negotiate research contracts, website hosting contracts, non-disclosure agreements and other commercial contracts
- Work with colleagues in the legal and compliance team to create precedents and templates for internal use
- Work with colleagues in the legal and compliance team to establish a training programme on legal and regulatory compliance matters
- Assist with the compliance monitoring programme including assistance with preparing for monthly compliance monitoring visits and financial regulatory returns
- Assist with arranging appropriate training for the office on compliance matters
- Support the Internal Counsel and Compliance Officer and Investment Officer with customer due diligence requirements
• English law qualified solicitor with at least one year PQE
• Knowledge and experience of transactional finance
• Ability to draft and negotiate investment documentation
• Knowledge and experience of investment funds
• Experience of working in-house
• Engagement with the third sector in some capacity (e.g. trustee of charity)
• Demonstrates a high level of proficiency in written and spoken English
• Confident and competent use of Microsoft Office
• Very strong communication skills
• High level of attention to detail; ensuring documents are accurate
• Strong project management skills
• Approachable and strong team player
• Flexible and willing to take on different tasks as required
• Enthusiastic, proactive and confident
• Resilient and can cope with ambiguity and change
• Establishes good working relationships both internally and externally
• Analytical with excellent attention to detail
• Well organised & able to prioritise
• Good at finding innovative solutions to problems
BENEFITS OF WORKING FOR BIG SOCIETY CAPITAL:
We will ask a lot of successful candidates – but in return working life at BSC offers:
• The privilege (and responsibility) of working in a globally pioneering organisation, backed by a substantial balance sheet
• The chance to work with exceptional colleagues, who both lead by example but also provide a source of support and encouragement
• A place where we strive to make things happen and seek to break new ground
• Formal training and learning opportunities
• Salary and benefit package that is very competitive within the UK social and public sector, and that includes contributory pension plan, health insurance, child care voucher scheme and other benefits
How to Apply:
Application is by covering letter (max 2 pages), sent to: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 09:00 on Monday 21st August 2017
All applicants must have existing Right to Work in the UK
Big Society Capital is an equal opportunities employer