In-house commercial solicitor
In-house commercial solicitor – NQ-7 years PQE
The Carbon and Energy Fund Ltd
Homeworking with some national travel
£36,000-70,000 dependent upon experience and hours worked
30/09/2017 or earlier on acceptance of the right candidate
Company and commercial
0-7 years approx. dependent on type of experience
Full time for junior role or part time (2-3 days per week) for more experienced candidates
Please note that we will not consider applications submitted through recruitment agencies.
The Carbon and Energy Fund Ltd (CEF) is a special purpose vehicle put together with the NHS to deliver a reduction of the fossil fuel footprint of the NHS and the wider public sector. We support an ever-increasing number of hospitals and other public-sector clients across the UK, and more recently in Ireland, through management of several public-sector procurement frameworks and their associated call-off contracts.
To thrive with CEF, you will ideally have a 2:1 degree (or equivalent if applying from overseas), though those with degree less than a 2:1 will also be considered if they can prove a high standard of academic or professional achievement. You will also have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with good analytical capabilities and sound legal judgement.
What is great about CEF is that we are a small team, with a lot of autonomy, a casual but professional approach that welcomes input from the whole team. We support personal and professional development for all our staff, and make sure we take the time to have some fun amongst all the hard work.
As much of our work can be done anywhere, there is a lot of potential to work from home, with some travel to various meetings around the country. However, with a lot of autonomy goes a lot of trust and we require team members who are good self-starters with a pragmatic approach.
In-house solicitor opportunity (commercial and contracts focus)
Flexible UK location
The role is flexible dependent upon the candidates interested, although budget favours a more junior role (NQ to 1 year PQE) with more permanent hours or a slightly more senior (likely senior associate level) role with part-time hours (where remuneration will be pro-rated appropriately).
The primary purpose of the role is to provide legal support to the wider CEF team. The bulk of time spent is on finalising framework call-off contracts for projects (which are complex and high value commercial and construction contracts), but also involves management of external solicitors, assistance on legal questions and/or disputes arising from existing contracts, drafting and checking various ancillary framework documents and general commercial legal support.
Key accountabilities for this role would include;
- Provide legal advice on a range of legal, commercial and operational issues and provide proactive and practical options to your internal client to ensure legal risks are understood and managed;
- Act as custodian of the standard CEF call-off contract and help develop and support the contract as it adapts based upon experience and new accounting standards and rules;
- Review, comment on, negotiate and/or draft agreements including construction, procurement and commercial agreements;
- Provide legal advice and liaise and support the business on major framework tenders;
- Co-ordinate and manage the outsourcing of legal work and liaise with technical, financial and project-management colleagues when required, as well as those of framework contractors;
- Confident knowledge of commercial and contract law with an understanding of the wider public-sector context and public procurement issues; and
- Excellent negotiation and drafting skills.
We would like our ideal candidate to have knowledge of the energy industry and/or public-sector experience however this isn’t essential.
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from everyone, and value diversity in our workforce. We will consider flexible working arrangements for this role