Regional Legal Counsel 3-5+
Afton Chemical - In-house Regional Legal Counsel (EMEAI)
Your new company
Afton Chemical Corporation is part of the NewMarket Corporation (NYSE: NEU) family of companies, and has been working in the fuel and lubricant additives marketplace for over 90 years. Our range of technology solutions includes Driveline, Engine Oils, Performance and Refinery Fuels, and Industrial and Metalworking additives. We use our formulation, engineering and marketing expertise to help our customers develop and market fuels and lubricants that reduce emissions, improve fuel economy, extend equipment life, improve operator satisfaction and lower the total cost of vehicle and equipment operation. The partnerships we forge with our customers are based on integrity and inspire effective solutions. We rely on our customers' willingness to open up and share their needs, aspirations, business issues and goals in the spirit of true collaboration. Afton Chemical Corporation is headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, USA. We support our global operations through regional headquarters located in Asia Pacific, EMEAI, Latin America and North America.
The Opportunity - Legal Counsel
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Regional Legal Counsel (EMEAI) in Afton Chemical's Bracknell, Berkshire office. Reporting to the General Counsel and Chief Financial Officer, the overall purpose of the role is to provide professional and comprehensive advice and assist in all general legal, commercial and regulatory compliance matters as well as ensuring administration and commercial accuracy of all contracts.
Your new role
Involving the Richmond, Virginia, USA Legal team as needed, you will be required to review and/or prepare a variety of contracts, preparing documents for each of the entities within the regions, provide company secretarial services and be responsible for;
- Regional contract review for legal concerns, including commercial, HR, non-disclosure and consultancy agreements.
- Complete standard contracts and review contracts for expiration.
- Work with commercial teams to prepare and review non-standard contracts and agreements. Interpret agreements and advise on tactics/obligations in case of dispute. Challenge/verify non-standard terms and conditions with commercial prior to progressing through the contract clearance system.
- Assist with routine inquiries on Code of Conduct issues
- Train employees as necessary on how to use the contract clearance system and on Code of Conduct matters.
- Involve the Richmond Legal team as needed for unusual matters or matters requiring specialised substantive expertise (i.e. patent, export control or environmental issues).
- Manage and deliver company secretarial services to ensure the Company and Directors remain compliant with all local rules and regulations.
- Prepare, with the assistance of outside counsel, Board meeting minutes, statutory filings, change of directors and review of company accounts, share certificates, share purchase agreements, and so forth.
- Liaison with outside counsel and the Richmond Law Department on company legal administration issues. Assist as a liaison with the Richmond Legal team on the legal aspects concerning product losses or claims against the company and on local law matters
- Other legal related duties as required (e.g. prepare documents for signature by Finance Director, prepare Powers of Attorney, and assist with notarization issues with external notary for items such as visas and leases).May work with HR Department to advise on HR matters and assist with employment documents (employment contracts and/or employment policies).
What you'll need to succeed
- Qualified Solicitor 2-4+ PQE
- Previous In-house experience working within a commercial contracts position is required.
- Excellent communication skills. Communicating effectively with colleagues at all levels within the organisation is key
- This is a varied role and you need to be able to manage multiple complex transactions simultaneously with ability to prioritise key tasks appropriately.
- Be able to work accurately, with good attention to detail.
What you'll get in return
Trust, teamwork and support create a special alchemy that sets Afton apart. Developing people from within has always been a key priority and as the business continues to grow, so will the opportunities to get involved. You will be offered a competitive salary with a substantial benefits package.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Apply for Regional Legal Counsel 3-5+
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly