PQE: 2-3 Term: Permanent Working hours: Full-time Team: Company Commercial - Corporate Location: London The firm
As one of the UK’s Top 100 law firms with offices in London, Bristol, Southampton, Swindon and Bath, Thrings’ strategic growth over the past five years has provided a platform to build on the commercial focus of the firm and to offer the complete service for businesses and their owners. Thrings offers specialist advice in sectors such as Aerospace and Defence, Agriculture, Energy and Waste, Innovation and Technology, and Financial Services from partner-led teams whose expertise matches that found in much larger City firms.
The team undertakes a balanced mixture of corporate work, including mergers, acquisitions, disposals and corporate reorganisations, and Company and regulatory law matters. The Firm’s clients range from owner- managed businesses to large corporates. The Corporate team works closely with its commercial law colleagues, covering general contractual matters, IP, IT, technology and sports, and with other specialist teams within the Firm, including Employment, Commercial Property, Corporate Recovery and Litigation.
Purpose of the role
An exciting opportunity for an ambitious, personable and energetic solicitor, who wants to be part of the development of this growing Team.
A snapshot of the role:
- To provide a first class service to clients through effective handling of client files
- To provide expert advice to clients in accordance with technical area of specialism; liaising with clients, colleagues/Client Partner and any relevant professionals in accordance with Thrings expected behaviours and values.
- A team player, building strong working relationships with the direct Team, the wider team and office teams. Supervising more junior members of the team. Providing a proactive and constructive input into the Team’s strategy.
- Comply with policies and practices including Risk, Money Laundering, the Firm’s office manual and regulatory requirements external to Thrings such as the SRA Code of Practice.
- Take responsibility for understanding these requirements, and promote the importance of these responsibilities to colleagues.
- Understand and achieve targets such as chargeable hours and time recording, ensuring accurate records are maintained for both chargeable and non chargeable time.
- Complete billing and fee estimate tasks on time. Work proactively with the firm’s credit control team in relation to client payments, having a good understanding of write off and recovery rate requirements.
- Plan and engage in targeted business development activities to obtain new clients for own team, and for other teams within Thrings as appropriate.
- Build networks of client referrers, understand the market place both locally and regionally. Build a strong understanding of the other business areas and people within the firm for effective internal referrals.
Understanding and Learning
- Take responsibility for achieving all forms of continuous professional development. Meet the SRA (or other relevant regulatory body) requirements, and ensure continued personal growth in the technical area of expertise to meet the Team’s strategic objectives.
- Take responsibility for the growth of others, sharing knowledge and accepting and giving feedback constructively.
Skills and experience
- 2- 3 PQE
- Law Degree or Equivalent with strong overall academics
- Turns problems into solutions
- Able to convert technical legal information into commercial advice
- Able to give and receive feedback constructively
- Effective negotiator
- Able to business develop in own area of specialism, and on behalf of other work areas.
- Numerate; able to understand budgets and targets and forecast working time
- Strong IT skills; adapt to information systems quickly; able to use case management systems effectively
- Excellent literacy skills including drafting style, attention to detail, and a comprehensive and accurate use of the English language
Benefits on offer at Thrings:
There are many benefits to working at Thrings: Our culture and best practice in all our working relationships provide the key elements that contribute to Thrings being a great place to work.
In addition, you will receive a competitive salary, core benefits including life assurance, private medical cover and health cash plans, 25 days holiday and a flexible benefits package.