Salary: £56,434 - £67,199
Highways England is the Government owned company that operates, maintains and improves England’s network of motorways and major A roads. A third of all traffic, two thirds of HGVs and 98% of all businesses rely on our network. Our c.4,500 employees support us in connecting communities, sustaining business and supporting the economy.
It’s an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our network. The Company has been tasked by the Government to bring about a transformation of the strategic road network in England. The Government’s road programme has never been more ambitious and we are now delivering our first five-year Road Investment Strategy, boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety.
There will be opportunities to work on some of the largest and most high-profile infrastructure projects in England, for example, the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme, A303 Stonehenge corridor improvement scheme, the Lower Thames Crossing and rolling out the Smart Motorways programme.
Implementing this Strategy involves many diverse and exciting legal challenges. To meet these and to assist with the increasing workload we are looking to expand our in house Legal Directorate.
Highways England General Counsel’s Office is a highly regarded, friendly and supportive team of lawyers, trainee solicitors, paralegals and support staff, headed by the General Counsel Tim Reardon and reporting directly to the Chief Executive.
We are recruiting for Planning, Commercial and paralegals. We offer a competitive salary, flexible working opportunities and a chance to be part of and help shape our expanding in-house legal team.
You can be based either in Birmingham (The Cube) or Guildford (Bridge House)
Main Purpose of role:
The company is now delivering its first five-year Road Investment Strategy. Implementing this Strategy involves many and diverse legal challenges. To meet these challenges, Highways England is seeking to appoint a construction lawyer to its in-house legal team.
Reporting to General Counsel, the role will give you exposure to some of the largest and most high-profile infrastructure projects in England.
Day to day:
- To provide legal advice and support on construction-related projects and matters.
- To work closely with other teams within Highways England to draft and assure Highways England’s construction contracts.
- To help build in-house capability in relation to construction law through knowledge transfer and the development of in-house precedents.
- To provide solutions-focussed, practical, risk-based advice that takes into account Highways England’s governance framework and objectives.
- Qualified Lawyer with considerable experience in non-contentious construction law (minimum of 5 year’s PQE).
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of the main forms of NEC contract.
- An ability to:
- Communicate effectively.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with relevant colleagues and teams within Highways England.
- Work as part of a team.
- Use initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Bring sound judgement and practical solutions to problems.
- Influence stakeholders at a range of levels
- Understanding the aims of Highways England.
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
All applicants must provide their right to work documentation at interview stage, such as a valid passport.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Closing date: 14 March 2018 at 11:59:00 PM.