Salary: £56,434 - £67,199
Highways England is the Government owned company that operates, maintains and improves England’s network of motorways and major A roads. A third of all traffic, two thirds of HGVs and 98% of all businesses rely on our network. Our c.4,500 employees support us in connecting communities, sustaining business and supporting the economy.
It’s an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our network. The Company has been tasked by the Government to bring about a transformation of the strategic road network in England. The Government’s road programme has never been more ambitious and we are now delivering our first five-year Road Investment Strategy, boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety.
There will be opportunities to work on some of the largest and most high-profile infrastructure projects in England, for example, the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme, A303 Stonehenge corridor improvement scheme, the Lower Thames Crossing and rolling out the Smart Motorways programme.
Implementing this Strategy involves many diverse and exciting legal challenges. To meet these and to assist with the increasing workload we are looking to expand our in house Legal Directorate.
Highways England General Counsel’s Office is a highly regarded, friendly and supportive team of lawyers, trainee solicitors, paralegals and support staff, headed by the General Counsel Tim Reardon and reporting directly to the Chief Executive.
We are recruiting for Planning, Commercial and paralegals. We offer a competitive salary, flexible working opportunities and a chance to be part of and help shape our expanding in-house legal team.
Main Purpose of role:
The company is now delivering its first five-year Road Investment Strategy. Implementing this Strategy involves many and diverse legal challenges. To meet these challenges, Highways England is seeking to appoint a litigation lawyer to its in-house legal team.
Reporting to General Counsel, the litigation lawyer will be required to work with other teams within Highways England and with external advisers to provide the business with legal support and advice in relation to contentious matters.
Day to day:
- To provide litigation advice and support predominately (but not exclusively) in relation to construction disputes.
- To work closely with other teams within Highways England and external advisers who support the business in relation to contentious matters.
- To assist with monitoring external legal spend on litigation and to consider the potential for expanding the litigation team and bringing more litigation work in-house.
- To provide solutions-focussed, practical, risk-based advice that takes into account Highways England’s governance framework and objectives.
- Qualified Lawyer with considerable construction litigation experience (minimum of 5 year’s PQE)
- Experience of advising on all aspects of the adjudication process
- An ability to:
- Be versatile and able to advise in relation to a broad spectrum of litigation.
- Communicate effectively.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with relevant colleagues and teams within Highways England.
- Work as part of a team.
- Use initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Bring sound judgement and practical solutions to problems.
- Influence stakeholders at a range of levels.
- Understanding of the aims of Highways England.
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
All applicants must provide their right to work documentation at interview stage, such as a valid passport.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Closing date: 14 March 2018 at 11:59:00 PM.