Salary: £29,831 - £32,367
Highways England is the Government owned company that operates, maintains and improves England’s network of motorways and major A roads. A third of all traffic, two thirds of HGVs and 98% of all businesses rely on our network. Our c.4,500 employees support us in connecting communities, sustaining business and supporting the economy.
It’s an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our network. The Company has been tasked by the Government to bring about a transformation of the strategic road network in England. The Government’s road programme has never been more ambitious and we are now delivering our first five-year Road Investment Strategy, boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety.
There will be opportunities to work on some of the largest and most high-profile infrastructure projects in England, for example, the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme, A303 Stonehenge corridor improvement scheme, the Lower Thames Crossing and rolling out the Smart Motorways programme.
Implementing this Strategy involves many diverse and exciting legal challenges. To meet these and to assist with the increasing workload we are looking to expand our in house Legal Directorate.
Highways England General Counsel’s Office is a highly regarded, friendly and supportive team of lawyers, trainee solicitors, paralegals and support staff, headed by the General Counsel Tim Reardon and reporting directly to the Chief Executive.
We are recruiting for Planning, Commercial and paralegals. We offer a competitive salary, flexible working opportunities and a chance to be part of and help shape our expanding in-house legal team.
Please Note: All 3 Paralegal Positions are for 2 year FTC and can be based in Birmingham (The Cube) or Guildford (Bridge House)
Main Purpose of the Role:
Ideally you will have a Law Degree or Graduate Diploma in Law and have completed an approved Legal Practice Course or Bar Professional Training Course or CILEx qualification, although we will also consider applications from candidates without legal qualifications, but who can demonstrate exceptional and relevant experience in legal practice.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals who can demonstrate strong communication skills, sound legal judgement and who are able to assist with a diverse range of legal queries to support our team in Guildford or Birmingham. Experience of drafting Highways Act 1980 agreements, Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 orders and advising on general highways law matters or experience in property law would be an advantage. We are particularly interested to hear from candidates with a background and experience in public law.
You will work closely with and be supervised by our qualified lawyers. You will also be expected to work independently, liaise directly with our clients within the business, sometimes working to tight deadlines. The required training and support will be provided.
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual with relevant qualifications or experience to assist with varied and interesting matters and gain invaluable legal experience in a large commercial organisation.
Highways England are an SRA authorised training contract provider. Paralegals who demonstrate exceptional working practices will be considered for our two year training contract programme.
- Providing specialist paralegal support to a busy in-house legal department, delivering a high standard of professional service and client care.
- Monitoring the team inbox and allocating and dealing with requests for legal advice.
- Drafting and advising on agreements under the Highways Act 1980 and New Roads and Street Works Act 1991.
- Providing legal guidance and drafting assistance to our regional road traffic regulation orders teams.
- Providing legal advice to assist with a wide range of general highways law queries, for example statutory nuisance, obstruction of the highway, drainage issues, litter picking and trespass.
- Providing legal advice and support on property law matters.
- Assisting lawyers from the Commercial, Planning and Operations teams with various matters, including planning, procurement, contract law, state aid, health and safety, litigation and inquest related matters.
- Assisting with instructions to Counsel and Government Legal Departments and external lawyers.
- Undertaking any other general legal research as required to assist the team.
- Attending relevant training and professional development opportunities as required.
- Law degree or Graduate Diploma in Law and completion of the Legal Practice Course or Bar Professional Training Course or a CILEx qualification and / or relevant experience of highways law, contract drafting or property and planning law.
- Knowledge of public law or experience of working in a public law environment would also be an advantage.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with relevant colleagues and the legal team.
- Ability to use initiative and work with minimal supervision.
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
All applicants must provide their right to work documentation at interview stage, such as a valid passport.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Closing date: 14 March 2018 at 11:59:00 PM.