Salary: £56,434 - £67,199
Highways England is the Government owned company that operates, maintains and improves England’s network of motorways and major A roads. A third of all traffic, two thirds of HGVs and 98% of all businesses rely on our network. Our c.4,500 employees support us in connecting communities, sustaining business and supporting the economy.
It’s an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our network. The Company has been tasked by the Government to bring about a transformation of the strategic road network in England. The Government’s road programme has never been more ambitious and we are now delivering our first five-year Road Investment Strategy, boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety. There will be opportunities to work on some of the largest and most high-profile infrastructure projects in England, for example, the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme, A303 Stonehenge corridor improvement scheme, the Lower Thames Crossing and rolling out the Smart Motorways programme.
Implementing this Strategy involves many diverse and exciting legal challenges. To meet these and to assist with the increasing workload we are looking to expand our in house Legal Directorate. Highways England General Counsel’s Office is a highly regarded, friendly and supportive team of lawyers, trainee solicitors, paralegals and support staff, headed by the General Counsel Tim Reardon and reporting directly to the Chief Executive.
We are recruiting for Planning, Commercial and paralegals. We offer a competitive salary, flexible working opportunities and a chance to be part of and help shape our expanding in-house legal team.
This role is based either in Birmingham (The Cube) or Guildford (Bridge house)
Highways England has been tasked by the Government to bring about a genuine transformation of the strategic road network in England. We are now delivering its first five-year Road Investment Strategy. Implementing this Strategy involves many and diverse legal challenges. To meet these challenges, Highways England needs to bolster its existing complement of lawyers with the appointment of a planning and highways lawyer to advise predominately in the field of planning and highways law, although there will also be opportunities to advise in other areas such as public law, health and safety, and commercial law.
This is an important opportunity for a qualified solicitor or barrister with experience in planning and highways law to work on major road schemes.
- General drafting, negotiating and advising on highways and planning agreements.
- Giving strategic advice on planning and highways applications and considering the implications of planning applications for the Strategic Road Network.
- Providing advice on compulsory purchase, highways law, permitted development, planning conditions and requirements, judicial review and High Court challenges.
- Working with external lawyers on the delivery of the Road Investment Strategy including advising on Development Consent Orders.
- Providing advice that takes into account the commercial business.
- Qualified solicitor or barrister with considerable experience.
- Excellent experience of contract and procurement law, including negotiating and drafting contracts and commercial litigation.
- Some experience of construction law would be desirable.
- Knowledge of public law and state aid would also be an advantage.
- An ability to engage and communicate effectively.
- Experience of working under pressure.
- Excellent client handling skills.
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
All applicants must provide their right to work documentation at interview stage, such as a valid passport.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Closing date: 14 March 2018 at 11:59:00 PM.