We are looking for a self-motivated and proactive Paralegal to support our Debt Recovery team and work alongside Solicitors within our Commercial Litigation team.
The role is to ensure the effective recovery of our clients’ unpaid debts from both customers and companies through either a process of negotiation and agreement with “debtors” or via the mechanisms of the court system in accordance with the Civil Procedure Rules (“CPR”) and litigation procedures.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Processing a high volume of litigation cases within set SLA’s
- Dealing with a high volume of telephone calls with customers, third parties and our Agents
- An ability to negotiate outcomes which maximise recovery levels for our clients within the regulatory requirements of the FCA
- Accepting instructions and processing them with both efficiency and a high degree of accuracy.
- Progression of files through each legal milestone – including responding to Defences, preparing applications for Summary Judgment and Strike Out of claims, dealing with correspondence with the defendants and progressing matters in line with court directions and client requirements, instructing Counsel and/or Agents to attend hearings on behalf of our clients and entering judgment where appropriate.
- Managing deadlines, and keeping on top of key critical dates and targets
- Accuracy in the processing of each file in both the electronic file management system and the litigation milestone reporting system to ensure that all relevant information is captured and recorded and enables the file to be picked up seamlessly by any other Paralegal
- Processing and responding to correspondence from customers, third parties and our Agents in a timely manner..
- Ensuring that any outgoing correspondence is responded to in an appropriate manner.
- Liaise with and take instructions from the Team Leader to progress matters.
- Refer matters/queries to supervisor as appropriate.
This is an excellent opportunity for Law, GDL or LPC graduates to gain some legal work experience. Full training on the appeal process will be provided.
The successful candidate will possess some or all of the following experience and knowledge:
- Some knowledge of the legal system. Preferably to degree level or beyond
- Ideally a minimum of 6 months experience of Litigation within a debt recovery environment
- Knowledge of the CPR would be ideal.
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy through all work
- Computer literate and have excellent IT skills
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package; including 22 days annual leave (in addition to bank holidays), a bonus scheme, pension, training and development, healthcare scheme, subsidised gym membership, on-site restaurant, an active social committee, free on-site car parking and childcare vouchers.