What's in it for you
- Be responsible for building high quality relationships with a portfolio of about 15 law firms, including City, international, large national law firms, alternative business structures and multi-disciplinary practices.
- Play a prominent role in representing the Regulatory Management team and the SRA by being at the forefront of engagement with the largest law firms in England and Wales.
- Discuss, assess and raise risk and compliance issues with law firms, liaise with legal professionals as to how our programme of regulatory reform impacts them and bring back that feedback to contribute to the various workstreams at the SRA.
- Enjoy an autonomous, varied and intellectually stimulating role.
- Utilise and further develop your legal sector expertise whilst achieving a balance between your personal and professional life.
As part of the Regulatory Management team, you will be responsible for proactive engagement and relationship building with some of the largest law firms in England and Wales, many of which are based in the City of London.
This is a pivotal role in helping us to not only give the public confidence in some of the most high profile law firms and multi-disciplinary practices - which will in turn, safeguard the reputation of the profession - but also to enquire and query those firms to make sure that they work to the highest standards.
As part of a small, dedicated and supportive team of about eight colleagues, based from our central London office, you will build relationships with your own portfolio of legal firms. You will engage constructively with key personnel at those firms to gain a deep understanding about the nature of their services and clients, what risks exist or are emerging and how they are dealing with them.
Bringing strong commercial awareness and understanding of the legal profession and how firms operate, you will collate, analyse and understand complex information and use your good judgment to help the SRA make the right regulatory decisions.
You will largely plan your own time, making typically one visit a week to a law firm, will need to have good organisational skills to make sure you allocate time to prepare thoroughly before a visit and draft a report afterwards. You will also share information and observations with colleagues to inform other workstreams.
An element of your role will involve you supporting and delivering the engagement strategy. This may involve reviewing and providing guidance on the effectiveness of the risk and compliance functions, organisational systems and controls, and pending regulatory changes.
You will need to have excellent interpersonal skills and be comfortable engaging with, influencing and, where required challenging external stakeholders, - typically compliance professionals and often at Partner level.
You will need to have and enjoy using the excellent communication skills it takes to explain complex issues succinctly and build effective external relationships. With sharp analytical skills you will also need to be a pro-active self-starter, able to work interchangeably alone or as part of a team and work collaboratively to achieve the Regulatory Management teams, the wider organisation's and your own objectives.
What we are looking for
- Experience of working in and a good understanding of the legal profession.
- Ability to build, develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders both internal and external.
- A flexible approach and an ability to manage multiple, and occasionally shifting, priorities.
- Good organisational and planning skills to ensure effective and regular planned engagement with firms.
- Proven ability to draft clear and concise written outputs.
- Networking, influencing and stakeholder management.
We welcome applicants who may be looking to return to work after a career break and recognise finding the right role can be difficult. We also recognise that this is a specialist and niche role. Experience of working in a regulatory compliance or risk management role is not essential. We are also supportive of helping you achieve a balance between your personal and professional life and are happy to discuss scope for flexible working arrangements prior to interview.
If you would like to discuss the role, our culture or scope to work flexibly, we can arrange for this to happen - contact us to arrange a chat, in confidence at
We currently have one vacancy within the Regulatory Management team and we are recruiting for this role on either a full time or part time basis. Please apply according to your preference.