£44,400 - £46,347 per annum (PO5)
Permanent – Full-time
Using your knowledge of Licensing, Local Government, Planning and Information law to provide advice at the highest level.
Hackney is London's most diverse, dynamic borough. Reaching from the Square Mile to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, this is an area of rapid economic growth, particularly in technology, media, fashion and other creative/leisure industries. Hackney has more green spaces than any other inner London borough; some of the capital's finest schools; first class transport connections; excellent public services; and thriving arts, cultural and retail sectors. We seek people with ambition, creativity and commitment to ensure our economic growth provides benefits for everyone and both protects our residents and creates opportunities to transform their lives.
We seek an experienced regulatory lawyer to join our committed team. The work involves managing a diverse caseload, which comprises of the following areas:
• Attending Licensing Committee and Sub-Committee meetings and orally advising elected members of the Council (i.e. Councillors) in public;
• Working on complex and high profile matters including judicial reviews and appeals;
• Providing legal advice to licensing officers on issues concerning applications and all other matters related to leisure licensed premises;
• Assisting the Legal Director and senior officers with governance related queries, this may include matters relating to the Council’s constitution and schemes of delegation
• Working with the Information Management Team on Data Protection issues and complicated FOI/EIR requests
• Assisting and providing legal advice to the Parking and Markets Team
• Providing legal advice when required on planning, enforcement and highways matters, in a concise and prompt manner. This may include assisting senior officers and Councillors;
• Provide legal comments on Full Council, Cabinet, Committee, Sub-Committee and Delegated Power reports.
We are looking for qualified solicitors or barristers or Fellows of the Institute of Legal Executives with post-qualification experience. Skilled in managing a complex caseload, you will have a proven track record of dealing with one or more of the areas of law listed above.
You must have strong negotiation, drafting and communication skills and have a strong ability to distil and communicate complex legal arguments to clients in plain English.
Please refer to the Job Description and Person Specification. It is essential that you include a supporting statement, addressing how your skills, knowledge and experience meet all the aspects of the post, as outlined above and as detailed in the person specification.
At Hackney, we go that extra mile for our people; we offer a work environment which is stimulating, fast moving and supportive, giving you the chance to use your skills and develop new ones within a high profile organisation. If you share our values and are ready to be part of our exciting journey please apply now.
Closing date: Sunday 29 July 2018 (22:59 hrs).
We are passionate about equal opportunities and welcome applicants with a broad diversity of talent and those who are interested in flexible working arrangements.