Head of Legal
Head of Legal (In-house)
We are looking for an experienced, qualified solicitor or barrister to deliver a proactive, pragmatic in-house legal service for the RSC, covering a broad range of legal matters. You will be supporting the delivery of the RSC’s work and will actively manage risk.
This is a part-time, permanent position based in Stratford-upon-Avon, with travel to London and occasionally elsewhere in the UK, for meetings.
As Head of Legal, you will be reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer where your key aspects will include:
- Providing, or procuring timely legal advice and identifying when external specialist legal advice is required.
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating contracts and agreements for all aspects of the organisation’s charitable and commercial work.
- Advising on all legal aspects of presentation, licensing and exploitation of the RSC’s work in the UK and abroad.
- Advising on intellectual property matters and negotiations.
- Advising the executive and Board on matters relating to governance under the RSC’s Royal Charter.
- Advising in connection with litigation, insurance claims and disputes
- Overseeing the arrangements for provision of external specialist property and employment law.
- Forming strong relationships with managers to make sure there is an effective communication channel.
- Developing and managing standard contract templates to support good practice.
- Reviewing and updating policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate will have experience post qualification experience of commercially-focused, risk based, advisory work. You will be experienced in company and commercial law and will bring a commercial view. We are looking for an engaging person with clear verbal communication skills who is experienced in working positively with multiple stakeholders.
We are looking for someone who brings ‘bigger picture’ thinking and the ability to tailor suitable solutions pragmatically and with an assessment of risk.
This is a standalone role, so the successful candidate will need to be self-motivated and the ability to work effectively and happily as sole in-house legal expert in a busy and deadline driven environment.
You will be working 3 days per week, we are flexible with regards to the selected days.
All applications should be made online using the RSC website https://careers.rsc.org.uk/jobs/vacancy/197/description
Closing date: 23 October 2018
We are committed to building a diverse workforce and welcome applications from all individuals.
The Royal Shakespeare Company (no. 212481) is a publicly funded registered charity.
The RSC strives for excellence, and values integrity, inclusion, ambition and innovation. We act with respect, show leadership and build resilient ways of working in all our activities.
We aim to create a welcoming, supportive environment which is happy, healthy and safe. We place great importance upon developing a diverse, highly motivated and energised workforce to help achieve our priorities. We put our values at the heart of everything we do.