We have an exciting opportunity for a Strategic Projects Lawyer to join our Governance team based in Braintree, Essex.
We are a high performing, forward thinking local authority investing in services to meet our corporate priorities. We have recently announced a £100m plus investment plan in the district which will benefit residents and businesses focusing on our priorities of health, homes, journeys and jobs. This role will support our agenda for growth and investment at a time of significant development for the Council in its wider drive to be more commercial.
Braintree will be an area of significant growth over the coming years. We are looking to embrace this challenge to deliver well-designed new homes, create jobs and improve and develop infrastructure for the benefit of existing and new communities.
In return we offer excellent benefits including;
- Competitive salary of £31,719 - £36,519 per annum
- Flexible working
- Free parking
- Local government pension scheme
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Learning and development for all staff
- Staff discounts at local businesses
- Staff recognition schemes
- Extensive health and wellbeing programme including discounted gym membership
- Pleasant Spacious Offices, located close to the town centre with public gardens and parks opposite
About the Strategic Projects Lawyer role
This role will work alongside the recently formed Strategic Investment Team, as well as our recently appointed Development Manager, with a real opportunity to build excellent working relationships.
To be successful in this role you will need to be appropriately qualified and ideally have some practical experience in applying planning legislation. You will have a commercial approach and be confident in building relationships so you can advise at all levels across the Council. You will be part of a small team, so must be able to work independently and flexibly to achieve positive outcomes.
Your duties as our Strategic Projects Lawyer will include;
- Support and provide legal advice on the delivery of major corporate projects including the Councils £100m strategic investment programme.
- Ensure effective and commercially aware legal advice is available to the Council, coordinating internal and external expertise.
- Provide legal advice and support to planning, regulatory and enforcement officers at all levels of seniority on a wide variety of development management and planning-related matters, licensing and regulatory matters.
- Negotiate for the Council on legal agreements under s.106.
- Advise on Local Plan and Neighbourhood Plan procedures.
- Prepare and assist with the legal clearance of reports for meetings of Cabinet, Full Council, Planning Committee, Overview and Scrutiny, Advisory and other Committees, Panels and Task Groups, Management Team and any other meetings as directed.
- Where relevant, under the direction of the Strategic Projects and Planning Law Manager, to manage and assist in the case management of civil litigation to include matters brought against the Council and actions by the Council.
Our ideal Strategic Projects Lawyer will have the below skills and experience;
- Legal qualification as either a qualified Legal Executive or completion of the Legal Practice Course or Bar Vocational Course.
- Knowledge and practical application of key legislation.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to think commercially and undertake business development.
- High level analytical, presentation, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Creating and maintaining relationships with clients including colleagues and Members.
- Ability to develop strong and effective partnerships both internally and externally.
- Able to work independently, flexibly and able to use initiative.
- Resilient and able to prioritise and manage high workloads, whilst taking an active role in a small, skilled legal and governance team.
Braintree District Council is a great place to work. We pride ourselves on our creative, innovative and forward thinking approach which is led by our staff. We are committed to having an engaged workforce who understand our strategy and how they can help deliver it.
Closing date for receipt of applications: Thursday 14th February 2019
So if this sounds like the role for you and you would like to join our team as our Strategic Projects Lawyer then please click ‘Apply’ today!