Assistant Solicitor/ Legal Executive
To assist Partner/ Head of Department on the preparation of high value / catastrophic RTA & EL/PL cases for both quantum and Liability.
To provide assistance and independently run a small caseload of lower value multi track and fast track matters. The successful candidate will have to exhibit excellent client care skills whilst also focusing on proactively progressing matters towards settlement and KPI performance
- Assisting senior solicitor to manage a caseload of high value / catastrophic claims
- Handling a small caseload of lower value multi track / fast track cases and some smaller value cases
- To maintain a diary and bring up entries in accordance with the firms procedures.
- Making telephone calls to clients and witnesses both on new and existing cases
- Drafting witness statements and other file notes
- Attending clinics and other meetings with clients
- Dealing with telephone CMCs
- Preparing trial and CMC bundles
- Liaising with external bodies such as Courts, etc.
- Organising conferences and meetings
- Incepting ATE policies
- Giving oral explanations to clients regarding ATE insurance and CFA funding
- Managing and updating in-house databases
- Assisting with the incoming and outgoing post
- Compliance within SRA and other regulatory frameworks including but not limited to Money Laundering Procedures and GDPR
- Maintains and develops communication between other fee earners, staff and representatives from own function/division and wider Simpson Millar group
- To work with a case management system, databases and normal office IT systems
- Ensure Quantum reviews are completed and provide advice to clients on settlements / setting cases
- Reviewing / approving bills and liaising with costs draftsman’s including budgets.
- Instruct Counsel and supporting Counsel with any queries that arise throughout the claim.
- Responsible for drafting Schedule of Loss.
- Ensure Limitation extensions are in place if required
- Provide LOI and LOA to experts
- Review expert reports and advising clients on the content of the same.
- Draft Letters of Claim.
- Review Defence and discussing the same with the experts and Counsel
- Part 36 offers
- Working on issued cases to include CCMC’s and Directions
Key KPI’s (Smart Objectives) plus SRA Core Competencies for role
- Experience of handling a caseload
- Good personal organisation and ability to adhere to strict time limits.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- The ability to deal with individuals from all walks of life.
- The ability to prioritise work when necessary.
- The ability to provide the highest standards of client care.
- To maintain a diary and bring up entries in accordance with the firm procedures.
- Develop good working relationship with the other Solicitors/Fee Earners and Service teams within the organisation.
- Ability to prioritise workload.
- Ability to stick to deadlines
- Daily contact with the supervising senior solicitor & Head of Department
- Daily contact with the Serious Personal Injury Team
- Contact with external and internal stakeholders
Experience / Knowledge / Qualifications
- Newly qualified Solicitor or Legal Executive
- 5 GCSE (to include Maths & English) or equivalent, Proficient in mathematics
- A Levels and Degree (or equivalents) preferable.
- Keyboard accuracy with working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook. Preferably case management Software experience
- Excellent verbal, written, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Pleasant but assertive manner.
- Efficient, organised and ability to use own initiative.
- Strong commitment to excellent client service.
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver targets.
- Knowledge of costs budgeting procedure
- Sound knowledge of Civil Procedure Rules
- Forensic level of detail required to review extensive medical records and documentary evidence
- Technical knowledge of CFA / Funding Matters;
- Experience in handling or assisting on high value cases an advantage,
- Pre-Action disclosure process knowledge.