Legal Secretary/ Administrative Support
The Prime role of the Legal Secretary/ Administrative Support is to provide direct support to his/her fee earner to enable the fee earner to operate at optimum efficiency. This will include, but will not be limited to, the main responsibilities given below
- Audio typing or copy typing of letters and other documents on computer.
- Open files and generate initial documentation on a matter i.e. generate terms of business and deal with ID checks
- Draft SDLT returns and AP1 and other similar forms for the Land Registry, order title from the Land Registry, inform accounts, submit conveyancing searches with guidance
- Within own skill and competence to act on own initiative in advising clients and dealing with the processing of work.
- To deal with all communication promptly having regard for key dates.
- Conduct of matters on behalf of clients, under the supervision and instruction of your Supervisor.
- To time record at target hours, if set.
- Management of support services for which he/she is responsible, including supervision of own secretary (if applicable).
- Participation in marketing activities whether on a firm-wide, departmental or office basis.
- Financial control with particular regard to cash flow control through collection of monies on account and billing procedures.
- To undertake any specific training when required to do so and overall to have a responsibility towards self-development.
- Covering reception when required.
- Any other tasks that may be required.
- At all times to exercise high standards of client care in a professional and pleasant manner.
- To ensure the confidentiality and security of all of the Company’s and client documentation and information.
- To comply with the SRA Accounts Rules and the SRA Code of Conduct.
- To maintain clear and precise communications with other personnel of the Company.
- To ensure good working relationships with external institutions and organisations.
- In liaison with Heads of Department and other Partners, to be active in promoting the services of the Company and its image and ethos; effectively market the Company and to cross sell the Company’s full range of legal services
- Not to commit any act that may bring the Company, or the Company’s name, into disrepute.
- Mathematics and English GCSE or equivalent
- RSA 3
- In depth knowledge of legal procedures
- Audio typing to 60wpm
- CIT literacy
- Communication - good telephone manner
- Accurate filing both paper and electronic
- Pro-active with assistance for fee earners
- Qualification from Institute of Legal Executives or similar qualification or experience
Dealing with amending documentation and track changes