The Ascension Island Government is looking for a Legal Advisor (Crown Counsel).
The Ascension Island Government is currently looking for a suitably qualified Legal Advisor (Crown Counsel).
Ascension is a small volcanic island, situated in the sub-tropical South Atlantic, with a warm stable climate (26-34°C). Ascension is part of the wider overseas territory of Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha. It is situated some 1,000 miles from the mainland of Africa and it is 800 miles from its nearest neighbour, the island of Saint Helena. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to our future success and to be part of a welcoming and friendly island community.
We require an experienced legal advisor, to work as part of Saint Helena’s Attorney General’s Chambers, to fill the official post of Crown Counsel on Ascension Island. Reporting to the Solicitor General, on Saint Helena, the Crown Counsel takes the lead on providing legal advice to the Ascension Island Government. Applicants must be qualified to practice law in a commonwealth jurisdiction and have at least 5 years of post-qualification experience in civil law and litigation.
The successful applicant must be a Solicitor or Barrister (or equivalent in a Commonwealth Jurisdiction) with a current practising certificate in their jurisdiction. It would be desirable if they have provided legal advice within a governmental setting, including legislative or regulatory drafting, and will possess excellent IT and communication skills.
We are offering a two year contract with a salary of £50,000 per year (taxable in Ascension Island). You will also receive the following benefits (worth up to £20,000 per year dependent on contract status of single/accompanied):
- 37.5 hour working week
- Rent free accommodation (with electricity and water allowances)
- A food allowance of £3,089 ( or £6,175 if accompanied)
- Relocation costs from country of recruitment to Ascension Island for you and any accompanying dependants
- One mid-contract return journey to the country of recruitment/residence for you and any accompanying dependants
- A gratuity payable on the successful completion of a 2 year contract
- 30 days annual holiday (with additional 9 days public holidays)
This appointment will be subject to:
- Satisfactory employment references
- Basic criminal record check
- Medical clearance (Ascension Island has limited Medical Facilities. If you believe that you have a medical condition that may be difficult to treat here please contact our Senior Medical Officer for a confidential discussion at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Closing Date: 17th of March 2019 (midnight) Interviews: via Skype in the week commencing 25th of March 2019. Shortlisted candidates may be required to complete a task prior to interview
We are looking for the successful applicant to start in June. For an informal discussion about the role please email email@example.com or call +247 67000 ext 150
For more information and to apply visit: www.ascension-island.gov.ac/working-here/