Management Grouping: Chief Executive
Team: Legal Services
Salary: £38,805 - £49,794 career grade
Permanent - 36 hours
Job reference: CEX0000082
The Legal Services Department is looking to recruit a qualified lawyer to advise on, and conduct, prosecutions on behalf of the Council. You may also be required to advise on, and appear in other civil / tribunal matters including but, not limited to, statutory appeals (e.g. Licensing appeals) and housing possession claims. The role will involve advising in respect of other of the Council’s functions as and when required.
You will have conduct of your own caseload. It is essential that you possess good communication skills and have the ability to work effectively as part of a busy and committed team. It is also essential that you are a keen and confident advocate and that you have a good knowledge of the law as it applies to prosecutions.
You will be a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or Legal Executive entitled to practice prior to taking up the appointment. Previous Local Government experience is desirable but not essential. You must be able to handle a substantial caseload, often working to strict deadlines and on short notice. Demonstrable ability to aptitude for advocacy is essential together with excellent written and oral communication skills. The role requires you to have a strong customer focus. You will be expected to provide updates, training and advice to clients.
Other training will be provided as necessary.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Guy Atkins on 020 3045 3624
What we offer
- Our Choices Flexible Benefits Package includes lease car, and cash options to the value of £2,322 per annum (applies to Bexley L9 only)
- Relocation Package up to £8,000
- Career Average Revalued Earnings Pension Scheme
- Performance Related Pay
- 25/27days Annual Leave (rising to 28/30 after 5 years’ service) depending on grade plus Bank Holiday Entitlement
- Annual Leave Purchase Scheme
- An excellent working environment at our fantastic new offices
- Opportunities for flexible working with excellent ICT facilities
- MyChoice Staff Benefit Scheme – Includes Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work Scheme, access to high street shopping vouchers and online discount codes.
Bexley is an outer London Borough with the best of both worlds, located between the hustle and bustle of London and the Garden of England, Kent. Within the borough we have award winning parks, open spaces and listed heritage sites.
- Closing Date for your application: 01/03/2019
- Please visit to find out more and apply. CVs will not be accepted unless they are submitted with a completed application form.
- Anticipated Interview date: Week commencing 11/03/2019
Follow us on Twitter @LBofBexley and @BexleyCareers