- Contract type
Cross qualify as a Company Secretary in just one year
Take the ICSA Fast Track to the boardroom
As a lawyer you can qualify as a Chartered Secretary in one year with ICSA: The Governance Institute’s Fast Track Professional route. Company secretaries are governance professionals who hold a strategic position of considerable influence at the heart of governance operations within an organisation. Company secretaries have a broad skill set – corporate law, finance, governance, strategy and corporate secretarial practice – and they advise a company's board in these key areas, providing support to the chair, CEO and non-executive directors.
As a qualified law practitioner with more than 5 years’ experience, we understand that you may already demonstrate familiarity with many legal and financial matters. All we require you to complete are two modules of the ICSA qualifying programme which is specifically designed to qualify you for work in governance and compliance. This will ensure you have the specific knowledge required of a governance professional.
You will gain:
- the potential for accelerated career progression with direct access to the boardroom
- an internationally recognised qualification with the potential to work overseas
- transferable skills in demand across the public, private and not-for-profit sectors
- the expertise to help your organisation move ahead with confidence and secure in the knowledge that is backed by solid governance practices.
As a company secretary you will:
- guide and support the chairman and board on their responsibilities
- ensure good information flows within the board and its committees
- maintain good shareholder relations and keep the board informed on shareholders' views
- develop and oversee the systems that ensure the company complies with all applicable codes in addition to its legal and statutory requirements
- monitor changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment taking action accordingly and oversee the day-to-day administration of the company.
As a lawyer, you will need to be a member of the Bar or Law Society for your jurisdiction, or compliant with the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Regulations and have more than 5 years’ experience.
Registration, student membership, exemptions and exam entry = £1,845