Regulatory Solicitor - A Regulatory Solicitor is required immediately for a 3 month FTC within a Regulatory team in a London law firm. The Regulatory Solicitor will work in a professional discipline acting for many regulatory bodies, primarily in the health sector but, increasingly, more widely. The work requires managing an investigatory caseload where it is alleged that the registrant's fitness to practise is impaired through misconduct, competence or health issues and preparing those cases for hearings before panels and committees of the relevant regulators. The work is varied, challenging and rewarding and the cases cover everything from large-scale fraud or multi-patient clinical failings through to inappropriate sexualised behaviour.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Solicitors carry out the day-to-day conduct of the regulator’s cases under the supervision of a partner and with the assistance of a paralegal. In summary, solicitor caseholders:
• Prepare the case plan at the outset of the case;
• Prepare advice on procedural or evidential issues;
• Correspond with the defence;
• Ensure that all factual evidence required to prove the allegations is obtained;
• Are the key point of contact for all witnesses;
• Interview key witnesses in complex cases or if the witness deals with novel or sensitive issues or is a vulnerable witness;
• Supervise witness statements taken by paralegals;
• Instruct experts and identify if any amendments are necessary to the expert report;
• Prepare instructions to counsel (both our internal advocates and the external bar);
• Attend conferences with counsel;
• Ensure that all action points following the conference are completed;
• Either draft the charge or review the draft charge against the evidence if drafted by counsel;
• Carry out disclosure of unused material;
• Liaise with the defence in the run up to the hearing;
• Supervise the preparation of the hearing bundle by the paralegal;
• Attend hearing at outset only, unless there are legal issues or problems with the case;
• Seek instructions from the client on any issues that arise in the course of the hearing;
• Prepare final reports at the conclusion of a case; and
• Present cases to Practice Committees/Interim Orders Committees.
Salary dependent upon experience. This is a 3 month Fixed Term Contract.