Senior Solicitor (Children Panel Accredited)
Role Purpose: Simpson Millar is a leading firm in Public Law work with offices throughout the country. Our public law department covers a number of areas of work including matters relating to education, health, human rights, and community care and child protection. The firm is ranked in the Chambers and Legal 500 publications.
We are inviting an experienced Children Law accredited solicitor to join our London office to work with our expanding Child Protection team, specialising in public law children matters. The successful candidate will be responsible for both fee earning and business development.
We are looking for a candidate with a caring and enthusiastic personality, a warm client care manner and the ability and willingness to actively promote the profile of the department and Simpson Millar.
The ideal candidate will have experience in all areas of family proceedings with an emphasis on children matters. They will have experience in representing children at contested hearings and a strong history of working with Cafcass.
Any applicant must have a strong background in advocacy and be enthusiastic in promoting the team, to include marketing and networking activities. They will work well in a team and have experience as a supervisor and in supporting junior colleagues.
Key Responsibilities: To develop and run a busy caseload of Children Act matters with an emphasis on advocacy.
Role to include:
- Effectively and efficiently conducting cases in accordance with the overall policies and objectives of the firm
- Developing local ties to secure referrals
- Participation in the development, marketing and success of the Child Protection department, to include developing the team website
- Developing referrals from other established Partners who already refer to Simpson Millar
- Detailed knowledge of Children Act law and procedure
- Good advocacy skills
- Supervision of files in accordance with Legal Aid Agency and Lexcel policies
- Working with the firm’s case management system and other office IT systems;
- Compliance with the firm’s Money Laundering Procedures;
- Compliance with GDPR
- Willingness to be flexible regarding out of hours work
- A minimum of 3 years’ post qualification solicitor experience mainly focused on public law children work
- Interest and experience in court advocacy
- Knowledge of legal aid guidelines and application procedures
- Interest in and ability to develop links with potential referral organisations
- Good business development skills
- Good marketing skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Good knowledge and understanding of FPR procedures and protocol
- Good negotiation skills
- Good time-management and organisational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to deal with individuals from all walks of life, especially the vulnerable and intellectually limited
- A commitment to equal opportunities and diversity