Civil Lawyer (Litigation)
Job title: Civil Lawyer (Litigation)
Department: Insolvency Service
Division: Legal Services Directorate
Location: London or Manchester
Salary Grade 7 Lawyer: National - £49,511 or London - £51,320
Salary Grade 6 Senior Lawyer : National - £64,699 or London - £68,904
Application deadline: Midday on Thursday 6 June 2019
The Insolvency Serviceis a government agency that delivers economic confidence by supporting those in financial distress, tackling financial wrongdoing and maximising returns to creditors. We are an Executive Agency of theDepartment for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategywith headquarters in London. We have around 1,700 staff operating from 22 locations across Great Britain.
We are recruiting civil litigators, in particular to carry out work disqualification work under theCompany Directors Disqualification Act 1986and the winding up of companies in the public interest. This is an exciting opportunity in which we can offer a varied role, including operational advice. We can offer the full range of flexible working patterns, including being based in London or across the country in one of the Insolvency Service’s regional offices. We have a very supportive team environment.
Key responsibilities and activities will be:
- To work within an expanding team, managing a full and varied caseload from issue of disqualification and winding up proceedings through to trial, maintaining high professional standards; providing clear, accurate and timely advice where required; actively progressing cases whilst acting fairly, efficiently and effectively; instructing Counsel or agent solicitors as appropriate.
- To develop effective working relationships with all those involved in our enforcement work, particularly with our investigators and examiners, travelling to regional offices as required.
- To undertake advocacy as appropriate.
- To provide a range of operational advice on statutory investigations and those under theCompany Directors Disqualification Act 1986.
- To contribute to the operation of the legal team and the Insolvency Service more widely, acting as an ambassador, role model and senior leader.
- To make a positive contribution to the wider government legal profession, for example in cross-Whitehall initiatives.
- Experience of insolvency, disqualification and winding up proceedings is desirable for both roles.
- Experience of leading high profile projects or managing teams is desirable for the Grade 6 Senior Lawyer role.
The Grade 6 Senior Lawyer role is a key leadership role within the team and the wider Insolvency Service. Post-holders may be required to manage Grade 7 lawyers.
Those applying for the Grade 6 post will be expected to provide strong professional leadership qualities, whilst having close personal involvement in a range of complex and challenging cases. Post holders will demonstrate strong personal skills, excellent legal and strategic analytical ability, good judgement and pro-activity.