Lead Commercial Lawyer
Lead Commercial Lawyer
Locations: Guildford or Birmingham
Job: Legal Services
Salary: £58,434 - £67,199
Closing Date: 23/06/2019
Your new role
Your work as a commercial lawyer will help us to deliver some of the largest infrastructure projects in England. You will work on the procurement and commercial aspects of major roads projects and our day to day activities. You will be responsible for providing risk-based and solution-focussed legal advice to our decision-makers. You will also oversee and supervise junior members of the team and provide them with support as necessary. Your work will be diverse, interesting and challenging.
What you’ll be leading on
- Complex legal projects
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on commercial contracts
- Drafting and advising on NEC 3 and 4 contracts
- Drafting a range of ad hoc agreements (for example funding agreements, non-disclosure agreements and asset protection agreements)
- Providing advice on procurement law and documentation
- Assisting with general and varied legal queries affecting the company
To be successful
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister in England and Wales
- Demonstrable experience in infrastructure project, commercial and procurement law
- Previous experience of working with the main forms of NEC contracts
- Strong communication skills with the ability to build positive relationships with and influence stakeholders at all levels of the company
- Desirable – knowledge of public law
A bit about us
The General Counsel Directorate encompasses the company's legal team and the Company Secretariat function. They provide an effective legal service to the company, and support the Board, Chief Executive and its committees on a wide range of issues. The team provide strategic legal advice on commercial, planning, operational and legislative matters, supporting the Road Investment Strategy and ensuring legal compliance and limiting risk exposure.
Want to know more?
Take a look at our Lawyer role profile for more information.
Interviews are planned to take place early to mid-July 2019.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.