Skills Development Coach
Skills Development Coach –Legal Apprenticeships
Leeds, London & Manchester
Permanent, Full time
Who we are
BPP is a global education provider delivering world-class professional qualifications. The group delivers undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes, apprenticeships and professional qualifications across the UK, internationally and through innovative online platforms. When you work with BPP, you will be part of a business that really believes in supporting your personal and professional development.
BPP University Law School is one of the leading law schools in the UK, with over 25 years’ experience delivering professional legal qualifications. Trusted by some of the most influential law firms, and with 60 leading firms training with us exclusively, we are at the forefront of innovation in legal training.
What you’ll do
The role of the Skills Development Coach essentially is to guide the apprentice to successful completion of a portfolio for the apprenticeship and the coursework for the BPP award. Training will be provided at the start of the role and on an ongoing basis.
Role responsibilities will include:
- Supporting apprentices in achieving the apprenticeship outcomes and applying their knowledge, skills and behaviours in the workplace.
- Coaching apprentices through the process of collecting evidence, preparing reflective statements and collating evidence in their portfolio.
- Delivering group coaching sessions, face to face or online, and designing and updating materials to support these sessions.
- Reviewing evidence against the apprenticeship outcomes and coaching the apprentice to consider the extent to which that evidence demonstrates the relevant outcome(s).
- Reviewing apprentice reflections on their evidence and guiding apprentices to improve those reflections.
- Assisting apprentices with identifying gaps in evidence and providing suggestions for opportunities to evidence outstanding apprentice outcomes.
- Helping apprentices identify and select evidence for inclusion in their final portfolio ready for internal or external review and/or assessment.
- Arranging meetings each term with apprentices by Skype/telephone/face to face as may be required.
- Marking and providing feedback for formative and summative assessments linked to workplace evidence and apprentice portfolios.
- Compliance with all relevant regulatory requirements and policies including tracking progress of learners and maintaining accurate learner records.
- Qualified Solicitor
- Experience in professional legal practice as a qualified solicitor
- Experience of teaching, training, coaching or mentoring in an academic, pro-bono or a dedicated Learning and Development environment.
- Understanding of current practice in the legal sector through regular engagement with legal employers, industry associations, law societies and other organisations, as appropriate.
- Excellent organisation/communication skills;
- Excellent IT skills, including in relation to online meetings, and a willingness to become proficient in the use of portfolios.
- Excellent planning skills ensuring regular, structured and positive contact points with legal apprentices in accordance with the programme requirements;
- The ability to accurately document meetings and maintain detailed records of all contact and interactions with legal apprentices.
- A positive commitment towards and an understanding of the needs and issues faced by legal apprentice students.
- Initiative and passion for the programme which is compatible with the BPP mission statement;
- The ability to work as part of a team and a willingness to share best practice with others;
- A recognised teaching or coaching qualification
- An understanding of reflective learning and portfolio based assessment and enthusiasm for developing expertise in these areas.