Role: General Counsel
Reports to: Director General
Purpose of the role: To provide the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC) with legal advice, to lead and advise on the management of legal risks and costs through the use of external legal counsel as well as protecting, maintaining and enhancing the reputation of Jersey as a safe and well-regulated international finance centre.
Key deliverables and accountabilities:
- The provision of authoritative and timely legal advice on the broad range of legal issues ranging from regulatory law, fair procedures, employment law and other areas of law to which the JFSC is subject
- The management of the timely provision of specialist legal advice by external legal advisers and the management of related procurement processes
- Leads on the formulation of the legal risk management approach of the JFSC and working with the risk team in this regard
- Advises on the drafting of contracts, agreements and other legal documents that the JFSC might enter into in order to ensure that such agreements reflect the legal risk appetite and operational intentions of the JFSC
- Acts as one of the key points of contact for the office of the Attorney General and the Office of the Jersey Legislative Drafting Office with regard to the maintenance and development of the legal framework with which the JFSC is subject
- Recruits and/or leads a small team of legal professionals as and when such positions are established within the JFSC, including ensuring the Performance Management Framework is fully adhered to in that regard
- Provides legal advice directly to the Chairman and the Commission Secretary with regard to their respective responsibilities and, if requested, to the Chairs of sub-committees of the Board
- A continuous programme of personal self-development to expand and deepen the appointee’s insight and knowledge on legal issues relevant to the JFSC
- Participates in the training and education of other members of the JFSC (for example skilled masterclasses and workshops)
- Contributes to the collective work of the Executive team
- Undertakes other tasks as directed.
› Achieving Excellence (Strategic)
› Communicating Effectively (Advanced)
› Demonstrates Expertise (Strategic)
› Planning and Organising (Advanced)
› Leadership (Advanced)
› Coaching & Mentoring (Advanced)
› Judgement Decision Making (Strategic)
› Commercial/Political Awareness (Strategic).
Knowledge and experience:
- At least one relevant legal professional qualification is essential and evidence of a strong academic record of achievement in law studies is desirable; this does not need to indicate specialist knowledge of Jersey law, but the successful candidate would need to be able to show a capacity promptly to develop an insightful understanding of relevant Jersey law and a background in a jurisdiction with a similar approach to legal issues
- Evidence of strong record of having autonomously authored authoritative legal advice on which significant commercial or regulatory decisions have relied, or having directly made such decisions
- High quality experience working in litigation would be an advantage but is not essential
- Experience of aspects of the financial services sector such as would indicate a strong level of insight in industry practices and relevant legal risks in the financial sector would be desirable, particularly in an area which is similar to a significant part of the Jersey financial services sector
- Work experience at a senior level with a regulator facing similar legal issues would be an advantage, in particular experience suggesting a developed understanding and practical experience of formal investigatory processes or other standard regulatory practices
- Experience in relation to EU law and/or regulation would be an advantage
- Experience in the development of draft regulatory legislation would be an advantage.
Other significant role requirements:
› Ability to work well in a team environment
› Exceptionally strong personal judgement
› Very strong communication (written and oral) and negotiating skills
› Good planning and organising skills
› High level of drive, energy and personal commitment to success.