Role: Director, Policy
Reports to: Director of Policy & Risk
Purpose of the role: To support the Director of Policy & Risk in the continued development and effective implementation of the Jersey Financial Services Commission’s (JFSC) regulatory mandate with particular emphasis on overall strategy, risk and policy development to shape and deliver that mandate.
Key deliverables and accountabilities:
- Leads and manages a team of policy experts across the range of industry sectors and Financial Crime Policy; which develops and consults on proposals for the development of the regulatory framework which applies in Jersey
- Accountable to the Director of Policy & Risk for the delivery of the annual business plan policy deliverables
- Deputises for the Director of Policy & Risk
- Leads on blue-sky thinking for the JFSC in the development of new initiatives
- Represents the JFSC in consultative processes with the Government of Jersey, industry and other stakeholders to articulate the JFSC perspective and to exercise sound judgement in assessing issues raised with the JFSC
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of key regulatory developments at a global, European and UK level
- Leads on providing advice to the Government of Jersey in the development of proportionate and practical legislation on regulatory matters
- Leads on liaison with assessment teams from international standard setting bodies assessing the effectiveness of the Jersey regulatory regime and coordinates internally within the JFSC and with all stakeholders to demonstrate regulatory effectiveness in Jersey
- Prepares and delivers external presentations to industry to increase their knowledge and experience in appropriate policy and strategy areas and effectively coaches team members to do the same
- Represents the JFSC at international standard setting bodies
- Provides well-judged advice and support to the Communications function
- Manages, develops and coaches staff within their Division ensuring the Performance Management Framework is fully adhered to
- Executes additional tasks in order to meet JFSC’s projects or development and change activities.
› Achieving Excellence (Strategic)
› Communicating Effectively (Advanced)
› Demonstrates Expertise (Strategic)
› Planning and Organising (Advanced)
› Leadership (Advanced)
› Coaching and Mentoring (Advanced)
› Commercial/Political Awareness (Strategic)
› Results orientated (Advanced).
Knowledge and experience:
- Strong evidence of the exercise of personal judgement and diplomatic skills in a policy development context
- A proven track record of team leadership and achievement in the development of regulatory policies, including industry consultative processes
- Comprehensive understanding of relevant international standards and other international regulatory and policy matters, preferably including evidence of specific experience of the development of financial services regulatory policy in both a UK and EU context
- Knowledge and expertise to discuss general policy and financial crime policy matters with senior experts in that field would be an advantage
- A proven track record in delivering results through team-based working
- Will hold a full professional qualification, or a recognised technical/legal qualification or substantial regulatory policy development experience
- In depth and broad knowledge of relevant financial services and products
- Evidence of prior experience of public appearances as a representative of a regulatory organisation.
Other significant role requirements:
› A focused, disciplined and analytical approach to work
› Holds political and strategic awareness
› High level of drive, energy and personal commitment to success
› Strong analytical and problem solving capabilities.