Construction Lawyer (In-house)
Construction legal jobs London, in-house construction legal jobs London, construction lawyer jobs London
Your new company
My client is a well-established market leader who provides design, installation and commissioning of mechanical and electrical systems to clients such as, banking establishments, corporate clients and government departments. My client works on major well-known projects across the London area and is well known within their field having been established within their space for over 50 years.
Your new role
You will be a construction lawyer with good knowledge of standard construction contracts as well as wishing to gain valuable experience in commercial contracts as a sole legal counsel for the organisation. The legal team will grow over the next six months with a more junior lawyer and paralegal joining the legal function reporting into this position.
- Deal with all construction contracts JCT, NEC and other construction suite contracts
- Negotiate terms and conditions of contracts with all clients, suppliers, and subcontractors in order to maximise price, limit liability, improve cashflow and margins and reduce general exposure to risk for the business.
- Render tailored advice for the business on invitations to tender though to the post-tender stage with particular emphasis on managing and pricing for risk.
- Improve the skills of commercial team on contracts that help in identifying and managing risk in contractual documents and improving notification of circumstances/claims to insurers.
- Provide general counsel and advice to the board on high risk areas of the business including those impacting on cashflow and directors' liabilities.
- Provide counsel and guidance on the impact of new legislation and caselaw on our contracts and approach to business generally.
- Manage debts and credit applications in partnership with the accounts team.
- Draft settlement agreements, director guarantees, bespoke service/subcontract agreements.
- Negotiate contractual terms and communicate effectively with quantity surveyors and estimators to help them secure the highest profit and achieve programme on projects
- Mitigate against intellectual property, design rights, and copyright claims by negotiating amendments to supply chain contracts and our contracts with our clients at Phoenix; and seeking early resolution of intellectual property infringement disputes in partnership with the company's IT department.
- Streamline and improve team's efficiency by formulating and implementing best practices; develop core documents recording commercial policy and governance for the business
- Deploy effective communication skills to resolve disputes direct with claimants/defendants, via solicitors and insurance claims handlers; attend office and site-based negotiations as necessary
- Instruct panel solicitors on referred matters
What you will need to succeed
You will be a UK qualified or similar common law qualified lawyer specialising in construction law. You will ideally be 3-10PQE (will consider applications outside this specification)
What you will get in return
You will work in top team environment working closely with the CFO and CEO being a fundamental part of the business. You will also receive an excellent package and bonus.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.