Senior Corporate Counsel
Job Title: Senior Corporate Counsel
Salary: £74,000-£100,000 (Depending on Experience)
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Benefits: 25 days annual leave,
Car Allowance - £680pcm
Private Medical Healthcare
Contributory pension scheme - Caterpillar will double the employee's contribution Up to 10%
Contributory share scheme - Caterpillar will match 50% of the employee's contribution
Relocation: Support may be considered
Sponsorship: Not Considered
Flexible working arrangements will be considered for this role, in-line with the needs of the business.
Who is Caterpillar? What do we do?
Caterpillar is a world leader in construction and mining equipment—creating innovative, cutting-edge products
and services that help our customers build the world around us. With that level of impact comes the platform
to care for the world, we work in. That’s why we lead sustainable green initiatives to preserve the environment,
help reduce poverty with the Caterpillar Foundation and stay involved in the communities we help build.
About Caterpillar UK:
Caterpillar established its first major facility outside the United States more than 60 years ago in the United Kingdom. Today, we employ more than 10,000 people in 19 major facilities and are an integral part of the broader EAME (Europe, Africa & Middle East) region. The U.K. is one of our largest bases for Caterpillar outside the U.S., and our U.K. businesses export a significant portion of their manufactured products to a wide variety of customers and markets. We provide articulated trucks, building construction, defense, impact products, industrial power systems, and motion and power control systems. We also offer logistics, financial, remanufacturing services, and market our products globally.
About Industrial Power Systems Division (IPSD)
Caterpillar’s Industrial Power Systems Division (IPSD) is responsible for design, manufacture, marketing, and sales of industrial engines for both Cat and Perkins brands product engines. Our global facilities enable us to support our customers wherever they are located in the world. We have built over 25 million engines and power over 5,000 applications, and sell to dealers, distributors, OEMs and Governments through both the Cat and Perkins brands. We have 7 key facilities across the world in the US, Brazil, China, Singapore and the UK.
We are socially responsible and environmentally aware. Our company is committed to a profitable and sustainable presence in the UK for the long-term benefit of all its stakeholders, not the least the communities in which our employees live and work. For more information please visit: www.uk.cat.com.
Caterpillar is seeking an experienced Senior Corporate Counsel to join the Legal Services team in Peterborough supporting Caterpillar’s Industrial Power Systems Division, which includes the Perkins Engines Company subsidiaries, with significant operations in the US and UK, and facilities in Brazil, China and India. Utilising an international collaborative network, the role will provide senior in-country support and direction to other Caterpillar business units that have operations in the UK.
This generalist role provides management, leadership and legal expertise on significant legal issues, conducts analysis and provides counsel to senior business leaders responsible for manufacturing operations and sales & marketing.
This exciting opportunity will provide the successful applicant with exposure to a global business leader with a diverse portfolio of businesses and an eclectic mix of products.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Handling or coordinating management of legal matters involving sales through dealer networks; direct sales; purchasing; real estate; competition; warranties; dispute resolution/litigation; bankruptcy of suppliers and distributors; product regulatory; labour and employment; environmental, and health and safety.
- Accountable to assess legal risk, identify and contribute to resolution of technical legal issues with a broad band of risk exposure with guidance from management.Typically, accountable for some day-to-day tactical legal issues.
- May help manage more complex tactical legal issues and provide inputs relevant to a broad array of strategy and problem-solving matters.
- Position is challenged to carefully evaluate unique legal problems and issues and make recommendations to higher leadership on the best course of action, calling on past examples and inputs from all areas of Legal Services as required.
- May manage a small team of legal professionals.
- A law degree and license/qualification to practise law in England (additional qualification to practise law in Scotland desirable but not required)
- Significantly demonstrated progressively responsible job-related experience within commercial and corporate law areas of practice
- Extensive experience and proven capability to provide legal counsel to senior level management.
- Natural relationship builder to serve the business by building productive and efficient collaborative partnerships
- Influential communicator, proficiently able to convey legal risk rationally to the wider business
- Efficient time management to manage the needs of multiple clients
- Demonstrated ability to lead, inspire and motivate a team
Candidates may have gained the following skills and experience through previous roles:
- Proven customer relationship skills to serve the business by building productive and efficient collaborations.
- Extensive experience in providing legal counsel to senior level management.
- Experience in managing and motivating a team of legal professionals.
- Experience in collaborating with colleagues on a global scale.
- Manufacturing industry knowledge, or the ability to develop this knowledge quickly.
- Litigation or dispute management experience.
- Experience in labour and employment law, competition law, and marketing law highly desired.
NB. The panel cannot make assumptions when shortlisting therefore please demonstrate your qualifications and experience on your CV relevant to the criteria outlined.
Pending the number of applications, the criteria for the position may be enhanced to facilitate shortlisting.
Please send CV and cover letter to Cheryl Vine, firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately, we cannot support working VISA applications