The Attorney General is the principal legal adviser to the Government of the Cayman Islands. The Office of the Solicitor General contributes towards the objectives of the Attorney General in providing comprehensive, reliable, and timely legal advice to Government agencies and various public bodies. It provides an effective and efficient service in the conduct of civil litigation for or on behalf of the Crown. The Office of the Solicitor General is currently inviting applications for the following post:
Deputy Solicitor General (Litigation & Admin)
CI$110,520 – CI$138,012 (approx £103,650 - £129,400)
The Deputy Solicitor General (Litigation & Administration) position will provide essential managerial support to the Solicitor General. This support will include the supervision, training and leadership of a civil advisory team.
Responsibilities of the Deputy Solicitor General (Litigation & Administration) will include:
- serving as a lead senior litigator within the office and representing Government and/or public bodies in complex legal proceedings before the Grand Court, Court of Appeal and statutory tribunals;
- provision of strategic advice in major civil litigation matters in which the Government or any other public authority is a party;
- provision of legal advice to Government and statutory authorities, particularly with respect to complex legal matters;
- providing ongoing guidance, assistance and support to Crown Counsel in relation to preparation and conduct of litigation; and
- acting as Solicitor General in her absence.
Applicants for the Deputy Solicitor General (Litigation & Administration) role should:
- be a Solicitor, Barrister or Attorney-at-law qualified to practise in an English-speaking Commonwealth jurisdiction, with at least 10 (ten) years of relevant post-qualification experience;
- have a proven aptitude as an advocate, and be able to effectively conduct independent research and provide clear and accurate advice; and
- possess strong management and interpersonal skills, with the ability to assimilate instructions quickly and provide legal assistance at short notice.
Depending on the successful candidate, the appointment would be on contract for two (2) years in the first instance, with the option to seek renewal. Leave entitlement will be twenty five (25) working days per annum and benefits include air passages, baggage/freight and relocation allowances, a non-contributory Government Pension Scheme and medical and dental coverage. Please note that no income tax is payable in the Cayman Islands (currently CI$1.00 = GBP£0.93).
Detailed job descriptions, information on benefits and a Government Application Form are available at: www.recruitment.gov.ky
Please submit your Government Application Form, as well as a cover letter, résumé or curriculum vitae to: Mark Harrison, HR Manager, Portfolio of Legal Affairs, 4th Floor, Government Administration Building, 133 Elgin Avenue, P.O. Box 136, Grand Cayman, KY1-9000. Telephone: 1 345 244 2336. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the relevant reference number(s) on your application. Previous applicants need not apply.
Deadline for receipt of applications: Wednesday 7th October 2020