National Senior Crown Advocate Campaign - External - NATI1122
Crown Prosecution Service
Apply before 11:55 pm on Wednesday 30th September 2020
£65,108 - £70,672 (National) - £67,933 - £73,553 (London)+ £1,050 (St Albans)/£3,150 RRA London
Bristol, Chelmsford, Exeter, Hull, Ipswich, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, London, Norwich, Nottingham, Reading, Sheffield, St Albans, Truro
The Senior Crown Advocate role is one of the most senior advocacy roles in the CPS. The role purpose is:
•To deal with a high volume of serious casework in respect of advice, review and advocacy (as lead advocate or junior) which includes some of the more difficult, serious and sensitive cases, including those cases which are referred to the three Central Casework Divisions(Organised Crime, Special Crime and Counter Terrorism).
•To advise on investigations and undertake Crown Court, High Court and Court of Appeal advocacy.
•Subject to the post holder satisfying the “general qualification” provision within the meaning of section 71 of the Courts and Legal Services Act 1990, the post is designated by the Director of Public Prosecutions as a Crown Prosecutor under the terms of section 1 (3) of the Prosecution of Offences Act 1985.
•It is therefore a requirement that the post holder already has their respective Professional Regulator’s (BSB or SRA) Rights of Audience for criminal advocacy to fulfil this role.
Please note the below essential experience for this role :
- A qualified barrister or solicitor with higher courts audience rights of a number of years' experience in criminal law and advocacy particularly within the Crown Court (tested at Personal Statement, Virtual Advocacy Assessment and Interview).
- Applicants must have 5 years’ experience PQE.
- Applicants are required to be able to demonstrate practitioner experience in serious criminal casework. This will include oral and written advocacy experience in relation to complex and sensitive cases in the Crown Court, High Court and / or Court of Appeal advocacy.
- Experience of trial preparation and advocacy in serious and sensitive cases (tested at Personal Statement, Virtual Advocacy Assessment, Case Study and interview).
- Experience of providing legal advice to investigators on complex cases, including at the early stage; (tested at Personal Statement and interview).
- Influences others on basis of specialist knowledge; (tested at Personal Statement, Virtual Advocacy Assessment and interview).
- Excellent knowledge and experience of dealing with victims and witnesses including an understanding and application of dealing with vulnerable victims and witnesses (tested at Virtual Advocacy Assessment and in interview).
- Experience of prosecuting and/or defending at a level commensurate with a category four Counsel (tested at Personal Statement, Virtual Assessment and interview).
- Demonstrates significant case management and strategy skills (tested at Personal Statement, Virtual Advocacy Assessment and interview).
- Excellent knowledge of the disclosure provisions (tested at interview).