Guinness World Records Senior Legal Counsel
This new opportunity, with management responsibilities, has been created for an experienced in-house lawyer to join GWR’s global legal function.
Reporting to the General Counsel, you will relish the opportunity to engage in a diverse portfolio of legal work within a unique business that operates across multiple territories, and within a remote working and flexible environment
The role will include:
- Providing key legal services in support of the GWR’s London and New York offices, including a wide range of commercial, intellectual property, privacy, litigation, employment and compliance matters.
- Undertaking all aspects of legal and business affairs work and providing general guidance to the company on legal, compliance, risk, commercial and contractual matters.
- Point of contact with business leaders on legal matters.
- Assisting GWR’s General Counsel in the supervision and management of the in-house legal function and helping to decide on the future strategic delivery of legal services to key stakeholders.
The legal team’s core areas of responsibility include:
- Providing advice on a range of matters, such as contracts, data protection, intellectual property, litigation, employment and other general commercial legal issues;
- Maintaining communication with internal stakeholders, external legal counsel and third parties;
- Drafting, negotiating and reviewing a wide variety of agreements including adjudication agreements, licensing agreements, publishing agreements, TV and digital content agreements, talent agreements, and service agreements;
- Intellectual property enforcement and protection, including drafting cease and desist notifications and correspondence with infringers; and
- Assisting the creation and implementation of company-wide policies and procedures.
The role is ideally suited to a team-player with a UK legal qualification, excellent literacy and negotiation skills and experience of supervising, mentoring and managing other members of the team, backed by sound, hands-on, pragmatic legal experience drawn from one or more of the media, digital, commercial, IP or commercial litigation skill-sets.
Prior in-house legal experience is highly desirable, and the role could potentially suit someone who is currently at senior associate level in private practice, with experience in assisting in the management of team members, particularly if you have undertaken an in-house client secondment.
Knowledge, experience and an interest in intellectual property, as well as the publishing, creative and media sectors, would be advantageous.
Also advantageous would be a good working knowledge of US media laws. Spanish language skills would also be desirable, but are by no means essential.
In addition to your technical legal ability, you’ll have the confidence, skills and ambition to lead and nurture a small team of legal professionals, taking a proactive, pragmatic, risk-based approach to legal problems and spotting opportunities to innovate and improve the provision of legal support in a fast-moving, target-driven environment - whilst working in a totally unique setting.
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV and a supporting letter to Monika Tilani – People & Culture Manager @ PeopleTeam@GuinnessWorldRecords.com