Your new company
The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) is the independent regulator of the UK's nurses, midwives and nursing associates. We set the qualifications nurses, midwives and nursing associates must achieve to practise, ask them to demonstrate learning throughout their career, and, on the rare occasions care goes wrong, we can step in and take action. An interim need has arisen for a number of Investigation Lawyers to join the Investigations team within the Professional Regulation Directorate.
Your new role
You'll play an important role in ensuring that the investigation business unit makes proportionate and timely decisions that best protect the public in accordance with the NMC's statutory obligations. You'll provide quality, pragmatic advice at various stages of fitness to practise investigations which take account of risk, the NMC's legal framework and policy guidance. Your involvement on cases will include providing strategic advice from planning at the outset of an investigation through to reviewing completed investigation reports prepared for the Case Examiners. You'll work collaboratively with the Investigation Team Manager to provide advice, complete reviews of cases and support the effective management of the case load of investigations in your team.
What you'll need to succeed
- Experience as a qualified solicitor or barrister with a current practising certificate.
- Casework experience, in professional regulation.
- Demonstrable investigation experience (not necessarily in a regulatory setting) and the management of a caseload of cases under investigation.
- An understanding of the professional regulation framework and fitness to practise issues.
- Ability to translate legal knowledge into practical, pragmatic advice.
- An understanding and appreciation of issues involving vulnerable persons or witnesses
- A highly motivated, enthusiastic self-starter who is able to work with minimal supervision.
What you'll get in return
The successful candidate will join a busy and experienced legal team within Fitness to Practise. You will receive a competitive hourly rate as well as the possibility of contract extension.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.