If you believe it is better to build bridges than walls, that prevention is better than a cure or, to paraphrase Roosevelt, if you are someone willing to "dare greatly" for a worthy cause, then you will be interested to learn we are looking for someone just like you to lead our Ombuds Office.
As set out in our Strategic Plan 2023, we are fully committed to enhancing the quality of our products and services, increasing transparency and accountability, strengthening our employee engagement and moving from a litigation culture towards a culture of dialogue.
The Ombuds Office (OO) will provide independent, impartial and confidential assistance in the informal resolution of work-related, interpersonal and administrative disputes and in the handling and de-escalation of issues or complaints from external users in cases where the normal channels have been exhausted.
We are looking to fill the role of Ombudsperson/Director to help us realise these ambitious goals.
With us you will:
- lead a team of conflict-resolution professionals and a network of confidential counsellors, ensuring the highest standards of performance and ongoing professional development
- facilitate informal resolution of disputes between internal parties through mediation and facilitation, and oversee the management review process
- develop and implement procedures for de-escalation of issues or complaints from external parties, for example to get patent applications back on track where the normal channels have been exhausted
- create and deliver awareness and training programmes, workshops and related activities to raise general awareness of the informal dispute resolution channels available within the Office as well as to external users
- identify and assess broad systemic issues within the Office, making recommendations that would lead to enhanced quality of our practice and procedures, increasing transparency and user and employee engagement.
Apply if you have:
- the ability to gather information, analyse, problem-solve and draw independent conclusions
- proven mediation and/or facilitation skills and a talent for bringing people together
- excellent communication skills developed in a diverse international environment, with the ability to deliver reports and oral presentations suitably adapted to the audience
- a successful track record of managing a large team of professionals with different backgrounds, cultures, and skills, whilst fostering their professional development
- a good knowledge and understanding of the patent granting processes as well as an understanding of EPO decision-making processes
- Diploma of completed studies at master's level or – in exceptional cases – equivalent professional experience
- Excellent knowledge of one official language and ability to understand the other two; in exceptional cases, excellent knowledge of one official language and ability to understand another
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation
Job group: 3
Duration of contract: 5 years
Grade: G13/3 (net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 12 865,08)
Career path: Managerial
Application deadline: 11.01.2021
Interviews planned for: Calendar week 5
* after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes. The salary range depends on experience.
Apply now via the "Apply" button.