The Roman Catholic Diocese of Shrewsbury is a large charity serving 93 parishes (along with 28 other churches and chapels) and 106 Catholic Schools across the ancient counties of Cheshire and Shropshire as well as several trading subsidiaries.
There is now an opportunity for a solicitor to join them as their In-House Counsel on a part time basis, to be based at the Birkenhead Head Office with regular remote working available.
As the In-House Solicitor, you will be required to provide legal advice and support on a range of matters including employment and HR (including sponsor management for overseas workers), commercial matters, probate, litigation, and academy conversion.
The post-holder would also be the Data Protection Officer for the Charity, reporting to Trustees, and will be responsible for the continued implementation of GDPR policies and procedures along with dealing with Subject Access Requests. In depth training would be offered on GDPR as required.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
With the full support of and reporting to the Financial Secretary, areas of responsibility will include:
- Providing advice and support to the Financial Secretary and Trustees
- Managing complex files, working in sole capacity as well as with other Diocesan officers
- Supporting the Financial Secretary in managing HR across the Curial Office and parishes, including dealing with employment matters
- Providing advice to clergy on Parish legal and employment matters, as required
- Managing the process of sponsor management for overseas clergy
- Managing probate matters, including instructing external solicitors when dealing with complex cases
- Advising on charity matters, including attending Trustee meetings
- Acting as Data Protection Officer to advise on GDPR including responding to subject access requests
- Supporting Diocesan officers as required during the academy conversion process to ensure trustees interests are appropriately protected
- Providing legal support on other matters as required
- Qualified solicitor, with the ability to manage complex projects
- Proven record of experience of role in similar in-house roles or relevant role in public practice, with a working knowledge of GDPR
- Some experience as Data Protection Officer would be desirable as would an understanding of the charitable trust sector
- Ability to develop and foster a strong working relationship with all members of the Curial Office staff and clergy, laity and volunteers within parishes
- As travel between locations is required, you will need your own transport
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- 25 hours a week to be based at the Birkenhead Head Office
- Up to 55,000 FTE dependant on experience and qualifications
- 6% employer pension contributions
- Health insurance and death in service cover
- 25 days per annum plus public holidays
Thornton Legal is retained on this opportunity on an exclusive basis with all applications made to the Diocese of Shrewsbury directly being forwarded on to us.
Please click 'apply'. Don't worry if you don't have an up to date cv, call Joe Rees on 0151 305 5757 or email me on email@example.com to get the ball rolling.
Any reference to PQE and salary is for guidance only.
Recent Testimonial: Thank you to Joe and the team at Thornton Legal for assisting me in securing a commercial litigation solicitor position in at a great firm ideal location. Joe listened to my requirements and was supportive through the entire process, keeping me up to date at all times (including outside of work hours, discussing pre-interview strategy, chasing post-interview feedback and working hard on my behalf when it came to offer negotiation). I would certainly recommend Thornton Legal to anybody who is looking for a new position. Commercial Litigation Solicitor