Job Title: Legal Services Manager
Hours: Full -time
Salary: £33,000 - £36,000
Reports to: Chief Executive
Location: Brockley, London
We are seeking a qualified Solicitor or Barrister with a practising certificate in England and Wales with experience in family law to lead our advocacy and legal service. Mosac provides holistic support to families of victims of Child Sexual Abuse. Central to our work is providing pro-bono legal advice as families navigate the family courts and in some cases criminal courts in extremely difficult circumstances.
We are seeking a committed, empathetic and resilient Manager, experienced in dealing with high levels of client trauma, to grow our current advocacy service into a pro-bono legal advice department to respond to growing demand.
You will be a qualified Solicitor or Barrister with a practising certificate in England and Wales. You will have proven experience of working in UK family law.
In the first instance you will be responsible for running our telephone and face to face pro-bono legal advice service for the protective parents of sexually abused children. Over time, you would move to overseeing other legal expert officers and volunteers, building partnerships and managing the more complex cases.
Mosac has been delivering unique support services for the families of victims of Child Sexual Abuse (CSA) for over 25 years. In a safe environment, we offer free services to families affected by CSA, all of whom are vulnerable with some being excluded, or facing other forms of hardship. Mosac’s services include a national Helpline, Counselling, Play Therapy, Advocacy & Advice, Training and Email support services. We enable families to achieve and sustain an improved quality of life by rebuilding confidence, alleviating isolation, improving well-being and resilience, promoting inclusion and empowering individuals to move on with their lives, with the skills and knowledge to safeguard themselves and their children in the future.
Advocacy & Specialist Advice Service
Our Advocacy Service was established in 2005 in response to a growing need from clients to provide advice and guidance on a range of issues including:
- Criminal proceedings, family court proceedings, CAFCASS and Social Services
- Preparing for interviews, medicals, court hearings, core assessments, psychological evaluations, case conferences and safeguarding frameworks
- Complaints procedures with Police, CPS, Social Services and others
- Liaising with professionals such as police, social services, teachers, legal professionals
- The safeguarding children framework and CAF (Common Assessment Framework)
- Supporting parents undergoing separation/ divorce as a result of allegations of sexual abuse: court hearings, financial restructuring, housing and school issues
- Supporting families requiring access to criminal or private compensation
- Emergency protection orders (primarily non-molestation and occupation)
- Emergencies such as breach of parole by offenders or victim suicide attempts
- Helping to reduce the likelihood of repeat victimisation and reducing the isolation experienced by families in this situation
- Attending Child Protection Conferences, Team Around the Child meetings
- Ensuring equality and accessibility for disadvantaged groups.
Role Description and Key Responsibilities
- Lead on the transition of our advocacy service into a pro-bono legal advice department for individuals and families whose children have been sexually abused, from across England and Wales.
- Provide specialist pro-bono advice to individuals and families.
- Work with the CEO to grow and develop the department by developing partnerships, raising additional funding and consulting with internal and external stakeholders to support service design.
- Lead on the evaluation and monitoring of the department’s work
- Work collaboratively with other Mosac Service Managers and existing clients to provide support that is tailored to suit the needs our clients
- Line manage legal experts and volunteers
- Attending regular clinical Supervision, supported by Mosac
- Attending regular Mosac staff and team meetings
- Represent Mosac externally on TV, radio and through various media interviews, to help build relationships with influencers and key decision makers and to raise the profile of the Mosac pro-bono legal advice service.
- Carrying out any other reasonable duties required from time to time by the charity
Essential Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister with a practicing certificate in England and Wales. You will have proven experience of working in UK family law.
- Experience of working with clients who have experienced high levels of trauma
- High level communication skills, including experience of communicating effectively across cultures and with diverse audiences, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent IT skills – with a good knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
Personal Attributes and behaviours
- Empathy with Mosac’s clients
- Ability to manage own/ joint workload and prioritise tasks
- Conscientious, resilient and self-disciplined
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport with quickly and to understand needs, wants and expectations
- Ability to work to deadlines/targets for self and others
- Works effectively and calmly under pressure
- Attention to detail in all aspects of work
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Active team player
- Ability to guide, support and develop volunteers
- We will be reviewing applications as they are submitted
- Please apply through CharityJob