Lawyer (Litigation & Employment)
Location: WFH during Covid-19 / County Hall, Exeter EX2 4QD
£37,890 to £41,881
Permanent, part time
Applications are invited for a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives to join the Litigation and Employment sections of Devon County Council’s Legal Department.
If successful you will be responsible for:
- Managing a varied civil and criminal litigation caseload to include Trading Standards, conduct of civil proceedings in the County Court, drafting, advocacy and the provision of legal advice on a wide range of legal matters including highways and education, including SEN and to maintained schools within Devon (Litigation will account for approximately 80% of your worktime)
- Providing advice on a range of Employment Law matters including disciplinary cases and addressing grievances, whistleblowing and Equality Act implications in staffing issues, TUPE and policy development.You will also be required to advise the Council’s Personnel Panel in relation to appeals against dismissal and manage the defence of Employment Tribunal claims issued against the Council and maintained schools (Employment will account for approximately 20% of your worktime).
Previous Local Government experience is desirable but not essential, however you must demonstrate that you have a keen interest in working in the public sector. The post will require some advocacy experience and you will be required to attend court on a regular basis. The willingness to learn new areas of law and ability to provide fast-paced legal advice on a variety of legal topics is essential.
We offer an attractive package of benefits, including:
- 21 days' paid annual leave (rising with length of service), plus bank holidays and 3 additional days (one technology and two extra statutory days) at Christmas
- Access to the attractive Local Government Pension Scheme
- Flexible working opportunities including flexitime and homeworking
- Access to Perks at Work and Devon Discounts schemes, offering a fantastic array of savings and discounts at local and high-street brands
- Personal development opportunities
For further information and to apply, please visit www.devonjobs.gov.uk and search using reference REC/21/00236.
When completing the “Supporting Statement” section of the Application, please ensure that you have addressed the above-mentioned responsibilities
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This role requires a DBS disclosure.
This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.
Closing date: 28/02/21
Interview date: 09/03/2021