Are you looking for an in-house counsel role where you can really make a difference? Do you believe residents of local communities should be supported to belong, contribute and thrive? Would you like to be recognised with a seat on your next employer's leadership table, and contribute to their vision, direction and strategy?
Who we are:
One YMCA, and its subsidiary the Early Childhood Partnership (ECP), provide a range of social housing, sports, health & wellbeing, children’s services, youth work and community activities within Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire & Buckinghamshire for the benefit of local people and communities. With a turnover exceeding £15 million and over 400 staff and volunteers, we are committed to making a difference to the local area through the services we deliver and the partner organisations we work with.
Our Mission 25 project aims to double our impact by 2025, and you will play an instrumental part in enabling this.
Key elements of the post:
You must be a qualified solicitor or barrister with substantial post-qualification experience.
This is a pivotal, hands-on role specialising in supporting and advising colleagues on complex legal, compliance and regulatory issues. These include governance, contracts, grant agreements, employment matters, Health & Safety, Charity/Company regulation, GDPR and more. You will also take the lead in reviewing and drafting contracts, terms of agreements and legal correspondence in conjunction with current and potential contracting parties.
You will be a member of our Senior Leadership Team. In collaboration with our Trustees, you will contribute to the development of vision, strategic direction and operational management of our charity as a whole. You will also bring the credibility to represent us externally at senior levels.
In return, you will enjoy a wide scope to make your mark. Please read our full job description (in the vacancy listing on our website) for a deeper insight into the role, but some of the key elements include:
- Putting in place and maintaining structures and processes to ensure that One YMCA and its subsidiaries are well-advised on, and work within, legislation, regulatory, statutory, governance and contractual requirements
- Leading on identifying new legislation, regulatory, governance and contractual requirements to make sure that the Charities are complying with the most up-to-date requirements
- Leading the process for assessing and evaluating the impact of legislation, regulatory, governance and contractual requirements on the Charities
- Identifying and procuring appropriate training to ensure that staff are equipped to work within compliance requirements
- Providing assurance to Trustees and the Executive Leadership Team on compliance arrangements
- Acting as an ambassador for the Charities, representing us within the wider YMCA Federation, amongst partners and externally as delegated
- Developing and fostering a culture that supports our inclusive Christian ethos and Values
This role will be home-based while coronavirus restrictions are in force and as otherwise required. When restrictions are lifted, you may be based at one of our Watford sites, with occasional travel to all YMCA and ECP sites if needed.
To apply, please click the apply button above or below.
You will be asked to upload your CV together with a cover letter outlining your match to the role and why this opportunity is the right move for you.