Job Title: University Contracts Lawyer
Job reference: PEB/2629600
Job description: A University in the North East of England has approached Venn Group’s public sector Legal team to recruit a Contracts Officer to join their team on a remote basis for a 3-6 month fixed term contract with the possibility of extension.
Day to day duties:
- Drafting, negotiation and authorisation of a wide variety of research and research-related agreements, including research agreements, collaborations, consortium agreements, secondments, technical services, studentships, subcontracts, non-disclosure agreements, material transfers, and consultancies
- Reviewing draft agreements received from research funders and negotiating amendments as appropriate. Providing advice to academics on the consequences of contractual terms, and remediating overlapping contractual commitments
- Negotiating with all types of funders to achieve the best possible contractual terms while mitigating risk to the University
- Liaising and interacting with academic staff regarding commercial contracts and with the Research Grants and Contracts team regarding research proposals
- Coaching academics on appropriate terms for industrial research and consultancy
- Keeping abreast of changes to external sponsors' contractual terms and conditions, and providing feedback to sponsors and University support staff
- Liaising effectively with academic, financial and administrative colleagues to ensure the timely conclusion of contract negotiations
- Tracking/monitoring progress of agreements, resolving queries, ensuring the safekeeping of agreements through the maintenance of a contracts database and providing management information on contract activity as required
- Contributing to staff development and training activities and preparation of documentation for staff to ensure dissemination of best practice relating to contracts and intellectual property management
The successful applicant will be expected to have an excellent understanding of the motivation of academic researchers and public, private and voluntary sector research sponsors. They will be motivated by the need to achieve appropriate contractual terms that meet the aspirations of all parties. Recent experience of negotiating complex contracts with contract research organisations is desirable as is an understanding of intellectual property rights.
Salary: £40,322 - £49,553 DOE
To discuss this role in more detail please contact Paddy Behan on email@example.com or 0113 234 6400