The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Liverpool is a large charity serving over 150 parishes and over 200 schools across Merseyside, Lancashire, Greater Manchester and the Isle of Man.
There is now an exciting opportunity for a Solicitor to join them as their In-House Counsel on a full-time basis, to be based at the Archdiocesan Office in Liverpool.
The In-House Solicitor, reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, will provide general advice and support on a range of legal matters to the Archbishop, senior clergy, trustees, officers and parishes of the Archdiocese.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
General Legal Duties
To provide general legal advice on a range of issues including.
- Property and conveyancing
- Charity law
- Employment Law
- Disputes and litigation
To liaise with specialist legal advisers where necessary.
Provide advice to clergy on Parish legal matters, as required.
N.B A substantial part of the role will include property work involving conveyancing, disposal and acquisitions of parish properties, title registration and lease renewals.
Compliance & Other Duties
- To act as the Archdiocesan DPO and ensure compliance with GDPR and associated regulations.
- To manage the processes of sponsoring overseas clergy.
- Advise Archdiocesan officers on academy conversion processes and other educational matters.
- To advise on copyright and licensing matters
- Maintain effective administration of the legal and compliance function.
- Participate in the day-to-day work of the organisation – such as reporting, attending meetings as required, and taking a flexible approach to general administrative and support tasks.
- Participate in staff appraisals and appropriate training for the role.
N/B Substantial training will be available to candidates on DPO responsibilities and compliance matters including GDPR and subject access requests.
- A qualified solicitor with upwards of 3 years PQE and an ability to manage complex projects.
- Proven experience of some of the above in similar in-house or private practice roles.
- Some experience knowledge of GDPR would be desirable as would an understanding of the charitable trust sector.
- Ability to develop and foster a strong working relationship with all members of the Curial Office staff and clergy, laity, and volunteers within parishes.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- 35 hours a week to be based at the Archdiocesan Office in Liverpool.
- £55,000 FTE.
- 6% employer pension contributions.
- Health insurance and death in service cover.
- 30 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays.
Thornton Legal is retained on this In House Solicitor opportunity on an exclusive basis with all applications made to the Archdiocese of Liverpool directly, being forwarded on to us.
Please click 'apply'. Don't worry if you don't have an up-to-date CV, call Nick Tappin on 0151 305 5757 or email me on email@example.com to get the ball rolling.
A full job specification and description is available upon request.
Any reference to PQE and salary is for guidance only.