Law 365 – Senior Associate
About the Role
This is an excellent opportunity for a senior commercial lawyer to be part of a multi-award winning and rapidly growing law firm. You’ll need the right mix of confidence, vision, experience, skills and drive to help build the business within the exciting and dynamic environment at Law 365.
We Are Not Your Average Law Firm
We knew that the traditional old school law firm model was broken, we hated the focus on billing and time recording, overly competitive cultures, demanding work hours and not being a true legal partner to the businesses we serve.
So, we created a model that was a win:win for both the clients and the staff – we use a subscription based model (like Hello Fresh or Netflix) and use the latest technology to better work with our clients.
The result is a hybrid in-house and private practice model where we act as their in-house team for our clients. The subscription basis means that clients can enjoy our services without worrying escalating costs as they pay an affordable subscription that is the same every month. The knock-on effect? We do not have any billable targets and no time recording. This means we can concentrate on being the best lawyer for our clients without worrying about billable hours.
The Commercial Team
The Commercial Team enjoys a challenging and varied workload that covers all commercial legal issues that our Microsoft Partner clients encounter. Our work is hugely varied and involves looking at the day to day running of clients’ businesses, drafting, advising on and negotiating their standard business terms, as well as supporting them in negotiations for other commercial contracts, reseller arrangements and third-party services. The Microsoft Partner market is a great niche that is rapidly-growing with over 30,000 partners in the UK alone.
The team at Law 365 really understands the language of Microsoft Partners, advising them on their partnership terms with Microsoft as well as all the ways the business supports its services to customers. Our clients are loyal to us because they love the prompt delivery of pragmatic, adaptable and solutions-based legal advice that all members of the Law 365 team provide, across all levels.
Our office is located in Tunbridge Wells, Kent which is a stone’s throw away from Tunbridge Wells train station and has direct lines into Charring Cross, London Bridge and Waterloo. We operate flexi working where the core hours are 10am-4pm, with 2 office-based days (of your choice) and the rest is up to you!
What You'll Do
- Continue to excel in commercial law whilst developing expertise in technology law, focusing on the Microsoft Partner market and service offerings.
- Build strong relationships with our clients, take time to get to know their business and help them grow with less risk.
- You will have access to all the Law 365 team, including a group of smart, pro-active junior lawyers, to help support you.
- Be part of a team that is supportive at all levels and, in turn, support your team in a collaborative way. There is no competition within the team at Law 365, we are all one team and when one person is busy, they can ask their peers or wider team for help.
- Learn about the Microsoft Partner world, get training from the experienced team on legal issues specific to the market. We didn’t all start out as technology lawyers, so we know how to navigate the learning process.
- Get stuck in! Create templates, mark up documents, manage negotiations, talk to clients, manage client accounts and comms.
- You will liaise with C-suite level client contacts and advise them directly. Our clients value our advice and appreciate our expertise and approach – they are down to earth and responsive, and it’s great to be part of their team.
- Develop your career. We work collaboratively but encourage professional independence, too. There are opportunities to progress rapidly within the team and to develop your own client base, if that’s what you choose. Law 365’s senior management will work with you to understand what you want to achieve from your legal career, and how best to achieve it.
- Be proactive and adept at engaging across functions and supporting other areas where necessary and communicating with and managing relationships at senior level.
- Identify and analyse current and emerging legal issues and risk and effectively communicate these to the appropriate levels of the business; be involved in risk mitigation discussions.
- Work with the Commercial Team and the Business to identify, develop and implement processes to improve the efficiency of handling internal and external legal matters. For example we use Loom to help explain our mark-up to our clients.
- Help sell the Law 365’s services. - Wait until you see how we do it here- it is much more fun than your average law firm and we love to use Prezi.
- Get involved with Marketing and Business Development! Why not! You’ll love some of the articles our team have written- check them out on the links below.
- Enjoy the Law 365 culture. We’ve worked hard to create a culture of professional excellence combined with a welcoming, fun and diverse outlook. Our first-class team of lawyers work hard, but the Law 365 culture means we have fun at the same time.
- Feel pretty zen! Have you checked out all the phenomenal well-being activities we offer? Our incredible in-house coach has devised some absolutely amazing wellbeing initiatives, we are after all ‘a Great Place to Work’ and fully certified! We also get that life is tough and we have signed up to the Mindful Business Charter indicating what our four pillars are for mental health (links below).
Qualifications & Experience
- 6+ years PQE.
- Proven ability to develop excellent partnerships with executive-level leaders as well as being adept at quickly establishing a high degree of credibility, respect, and trust at all levels.
- Can take on their own work load and work mainly independently, in addition to taking charge of negotiating and managing clients with little to no supervision.
- A high performer who thrives in a fast-paced business environment.
- Strong team player with excellent organisational and communication skills; high energy; a desire to learn; and a commitment to the highest ethical standards.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement, be solutions-based, take responsibility and ownership of issues, including taking difficult decisions and providing substantiated arguments and reasoning for your position.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve complex legal issues in commercial and compliant, but also creative, business-friendly, and cost-effective ways with an appropriate sense of urgency.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to think quickly and practically, and to be able to multi-task, prioritize assignments, cope well with competing deadlines, and deliver high-quality client service.
- Qualified solicitor, with experience at a good commercial law firm or in-house team.
- Competitive salary.
- 25 days annual holiday.
- No time recording.
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance (Vitality).
- Full home office set-up provided (laptop, monitor, chair, keyboard, mouse).
- Full access to 1:1 and team coaching with our in-house Executive Performance Coach.
- In-house and external training programmes.
- A suite of wellbeing initiatives and activities (personal trainer, yoga, nutrition workshops, meditation, gong baths).
- Central (and dog-friendly) office located within walking distance of Tunbridge Wells train station.
Joining Law 365 would mean joining a multi-award winning law firm
- “Innovator of the Year 2021” SME News Legal Awards
- “Best Technology-Focused Legal Services Provider 2021 – UK ” Corporate Excellence Awards
- “CEO and Founder of the Year 2021 - Kim Simmonds” Global 100
- “Specialist Legal Service of the Year - 2021/22” London Prestige Awards
- “10 Most Empowering Women in Business - 2021” Insights Success Magazine
- “UK – Gamechanger of the Year 2021, Kim Simmonds, Law 365” ACQ Global Awards
- “Best IT Law Firm of the Year 2021 – South East England” – Legal 100, Lawyer International
- “Top 10 Entrepreneurs To Watch Out For In 2020” Industry Tech Outlook
- “Best IT Law Firm 2020 - South East England” SME Legal Awards
- “Best IT Law Firm of the Year - South East England” Global 100
- “Most Influential Woman in Technology Law 2020 – Kent” Global Excellence Awards
- “50 Innovative Companies to Watch 2020” Silicon Review magazine
- “Entrepreneur of the Year (Finalist)” Women in Law Awards - Incisive Media
- “UK – Gamechanger of the Year 2020, Kim Simmonds, Law 365” ACQ Global Awards