Your new company
A health and care regulator and statutory regulator for the optical profession in the UK. They are responsible for protecting the public by promoting high standards of education, performance and conduct amongst opticians and maintaining public confidence in the profession. They currently have a need for a qualified in-house advocate to start ASAP, initially on a fixed term contract for 12 months.
Your new role
You will have responsibility for preparing cases for hearings before the Fitness to Practise Committee (FTPC), Registrations Appeals Committee (RAC) and the High Court (if qualified), and for presenting cases on behalf of the council as required. You will work closely with Investigation Officers and other team members to ensure that cases are fully prepared for hearing in a timely and efficient manner. You will also provide legal advice and support to the FTP directorate, and to the rest of the council, as required and will play a significant role in supporting and developing the investigation team.
What you'll need to succeed
- Qualified lawyer (at least 3 years' PQE)
- Outstanding oral communication skills
- Excellent literacy and written communication skills
- Experience of operating within professional regulation (or other similar, eg criminal), including the preparation and presentation of cases
- An excellent understanding of complex legal concepts and ability to apply knowledge to case work
- An ability to work within a tight procedural framework
- Ability to grasp unfamiliar and/or new legislation quickly and to accurately apply rules and legislation to daily work
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.