Our Ethics Guidance team are currently seeking qualified Solicitors for two fixed term contract vacancies - one for a period of 12 months, and another till the end of May 2022.
Ethics Advisers (Solicitors) have a pivotal role in providing expert technical and professional guidance on the rules that govern solicitors' conduct and assist solicitors in applying these to their situation.
In this role, you will provide first contact risk-based guidance to the profession via correspondence, web chat and telephone on many queries on a wide variety of subjects. You will investigate and make decisions on applications to remove residual balances from a firm's client account. You will also investigate and draft insightful reports on applications to waive SRA rules and make recommendation as to the outcome.
The work of an Ethics Adviser will suit someone who enjoys a challenge and thrives on delivering outstanding customer service and quality results. Taking ownership of your queries you will consistently achieve the highest performance standards. You will enjoy being part of a team that is skilled in knowledge sharing and known for its strong team ethos.
If you are currently working within the profession and are looking for a change or further career prospects, you will enjoy the opportunity to use and apply your working knowledge and expertise of the law, to give advice and guidance to your customers as well as colleagues.
There is also opportunity for you to further develop your skill set and your understanding of our standards and regulations. You will contribute to the knowledge of the team and have input into business projects where regulatory and legal expertise is required.
What is in it for you?
- Be at the forefront of advising Solicitors on the rules that govern their conduct.
- Prosper and develop your career by gaining insightful, advanced training on the standards and regulations.
- Enjoy a varied role, with challenge, ownership and decision making.
- Showcase your ability to liaise with and advise the profession, providing excellent customer service.
- Utilise and further develop your legal sector expertise whilst keeping in touch with private practice.
What we are looking for
- A qualified Solicitor with experience of working in private practice.
- Excellent ability to retain large volumes of information to apply in time-limited circumstances
- Ability to manage when challenged, understanding of regulation and/or the law, by knowledgeable professionals
- Proven ability to grasp complex factual cases and draw out critical information
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as being a team player
- Enthusiastic and driven individual who excels in giving expert technical and professional advice
- Competent decision maker, using appropriate judgment
Useful and additional information
If you have any questions about the role or organisation that aren't answered on our website or in the advert, please contact us via
This role is based in our Birmingham office. We are moving to a hybrid working model and looking forward there will be a blend of home working and an office presence, with up to 2 days in the office per week.
Our staff are currently working from home and all interviews and assessments are being conducted virtually. If your application is successful one of the team will be in touch to let you know what to expect. The selection process will comprise of an initial stage of telephone role play and written assessment, followed by a competency-based interview.
Please use the apply button at the bottom of the advert. We are looking for you to upload two documents: a CV and cover letter. Uploading a CV and Cover Letter provides you the best opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge, skills and experience and how they specifically relate to the requirements of this role - please refer to the 'What we are looking for' section and Role Profile to understand the key requirements of the role.
To find out more about the recruitment and selection process and how to make the most of your application, please visit our jobs pages.
Closing date for applications is 4 October at 08:00. The selection process is likely to commence week of 11 October.