LocatED Property Limited (LocatED), an Arms-Length Body of the Department for Education (DfE), which is responsible for buying and developing sites in England to help deliver much needed new school places, is looking to recruit a Legal Counsel.
As Legal Counsel, this role will lead on managing and providing a high quality, professional legal service utilising both in-house and external resources. This role will be home-based, ideally within easy commuting of London.
Main Duties & Responsibilities include:
- Leading and maintaining a legal function which is focussed, commercial and meets LocatED’s needs
- Providing corporate in-house legal counsel to the Operations Committee and the Executive Management Team
- Overseeing the allocation of work and taking decisions as to how to resource work in terms of outsourcing to a panel of external legal advisors or insourcing to LocatED’s internal legal capacity
- Supporting property and development colleagues on property transactions and procurements ranging from conventional freehold and leasehold acquisitions to the procurement of development partners for mixed-use developments
- Motivating and supporting colleagues to achieve the required Key Performance Indicators
- Identifying and building productive relationships with key stakeholders
- Managing the work of a panel of external legal advisors that will provide the lead input on transactions and procurements undertaken by LocatED
- Attending meetings and providing legal support to the company’s Investment and mixed-use Investment Committees
- Play a leading role engaging with DfE and the ESFA particularly in respect of operational and delivery matters
- Effectively manage the In-house Solicitor to ensure they successfully deliver against challenging objectives to help the business meet its business targets and ensuring that they are given the opportunity to develop and grow
Key Skills & Requirements:
To be successful in this role you will need:
- To be a qualified solicitor, holding a current practising certificate for England and Wales, with significant post-qualification experience in the commercial property sector
- Have a detailed understanding of Property law, including an understanding of the range of deal structures available to deliver mixed-use schemes
- A proven track record of successfully concluding deals with landowners, institutional investors, developers and local authorities
- Public sector experience, either acting for public sector clients or working within the public sector
- Some knowledge of procurement regulations governing transaction by government bodies
- Demonstrable commercial awareness of the property market, market norms and best practice
- The ability to empower people and teams to ensure objectives are achieved
- To demonstrate high standards of integrity, honesty, and fairness, commensurate with the Nolan principles
- A commitment to the value of diversity and achievement of equality of opportunity in both employment and service delivery.
In return we offer:
- A basic salary of up to £110,000 depending on experience
- 25 days annual leave increasing with service up to 28 days plus statutory holidays
- A matched pension scheme for contributions up to 6%
- Opportunity to earn up to 10% of salary in an annual performance related pay scheme
- Ability to access training and other continuing professional development opportunities
- Various discounts with popular retailers
- Ability to work from home.
Equality, diversity and inclusion is fundamental to the continuing success at LocatED. We actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and all sections of the community, regardless of race, religious beliefs, political opinions, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, marital/parental status, gender, age, sexual orientation or disability. We also support applications from those returning from a career break or from other roles.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter detailing how your skills, experience and qualifications match this role to us via the Apply button.
The closing date for applications is 29 October 2021.