CAYMAN ISLANDS GOVERNMENT
The Portfolio of Legal Affairs, is currently inviting applications for the following post:
Senior Crown Counsel
CI$101,436.00 to $136,428.00 per annum
The Attorney General is the principal legal adviser to the Government of the Cayman Islands. The Solicitor General’s Office (SGO) contributes towards the objectives of the Attorney General in providing comprehensive, reliable, and timely legal advice to Government agencies and various public bodies. It provides an effective and efficient service in the conduct of civil litigation for or on behalf of the Crown.
Senior Crown Counsel
The post-holder will be expected to serve a primary role in the provision of legal advice and assistance to tribunals, statutory authorities and other Cayman Islands Government agencies and will be responsible for the conduct of related litigation. In addition, the post holder will contribute to the delivery of training within the civil service on relevant issues and reviewing legislation.
The role will also undertake work in a wide range of areas including administrative/public law, constitutional law, immigration, tort, employment, freedom of information/data protection, planning and land law, as well as contract preparation and review. Litigation will typically include judicial review, statutory appeals, writ actions and some tribunal proceedings.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience and Skills
Applicants for this position should be a Solicitor, Barrister or Attorney-at-Law qualified to practice in an English-speaking Commonwealth jurisdiction.
Applicants must also:
- possess a minimum of ten (10) years’ relevant post qualification experience;
- possess experience of all aspects of civil litigation practice and procedure, including the preparation of pleadings, affidavits and legal submissions;
- have sound advocacy skills and experience;
- have the ability to undertake detailed and complex legal research;
- have the ability to provide comprehensive, reliable and timely legal advice;
- have the ability to work effectively both as part of a team and independently;
- have strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to draft clear and accurate reports and to make presentations and lead and conduct meetings.
A detailed job description, information on benefits and a Government Application Form are available at: www.recruitment.gov.ky
Depending on the successful candidate, the appointment would be on contract for two (2) years in the first instance, with the option to seek renewal. Leave entitlement will be twenty-five (25) working days per annum and benefits include air passages, baggage/freight and relocation allowances, a non-contributory Government Pension Scheme and medical, vision and dental coverage. Please note that no income tax is payable in the Cayman Islands (CI$1.00 = US$1.20, GBP£0.88).
Please submit your Government Application Form, as well as a cover letter, résumé or curriculum vitae to: Colleen Williams, HR Manager, Portfolio of Legal Affairs, 4th Floor, Government Administration Building, 133 Elgin Avenue, P.O. Box 136, Grand Cayman, KY1-9000. Telephone: 1 345 244 2336. Email: POLAHR@gov.ky
Deadline for receipt of applications: Friday- 29 October 2021