Without water, life as we know it would be impossible. Every day, we rely on it for drinking, washing and cleaning. It helps create the energy we need for heat and light. It’s also essential to the products we enjoy and the natural world we depend upon.
Yet the South East faces a future of more people and less water. Our population is growing fast, and climate change is bringing greater risk of both drought and flooding.
In the water industry, your work will help to address these challenges and give people access to sustainable, high-quality water and wastewater services for decades to come.
The South East is also home to over 700 miles of coastline, two National Parks, four Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and some of the world’s rarest chalk streams. As well as working within these breath-taking environments, your activities will help preserve them for generations to come.
Why Southern Water?
Each day, over four million people across Sussex, Kent, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight count on us for their essential water or wastewater services. Our work is vital, because we’re providing water for life.
Do you want to make a difference? At Southern Water, you work will help to enhance health and wellbeing, protect and improve the environment and sustain the economy. You’ll also play an important role in helping us deliver a resilient water future for the South East.
Are you a natural collaborator with a strong moral compass and high standards? If so, you’ll fit right in.
Everything we do is underpinned by three values: succeeding together, doing the right thing and always improving.
Do you want to bring your authentic self to work every day? We do too. That’s why we’re building an inclusive culture and are proud to offer equal opportunities regardless of age, cultural background, disability, gender, marital status, nationality, political belief, race, religion or sexual orientation. We believe the unique perspectives and experiences each of us brings make us stronger.
About the role:
Job Title: Assistant Property Lawyer
Location: Durrington, West Sussex (with flexibility of working from home)
Hours: 37 (Mon-Fri)
Salary: Up to £55,400 p/a, subject to knowledge and experience
The Asst. Property Solicitor role forms part of the small (3 x roles) specialist in-house team. The person appointed to this post will report to the Property Solicitor and contribute to the provision of legal services to manage a diverse property portfolio which includes operational water and wastewater sites, offices, grazing land, housing and telecommunication masts to maintain and to enhance the value of Southern Water’s land estate and its property income over the long term.
Main focus of the role and duties are varied, spanning both general and complex property and conveyancing work, representing a range of internal clients, and advising on and contributing to matters such as:
• sale, purchase and lease of land or property;
• property development, infrastructure and capital scheme work, and planning projects;
• property finance and investment;
• access rights, easements, wayleaves, etc. and boundary disputes;
• regeneration and asset optimisation projects;
• drafting, vetting, negotiating and settling various forms of property contracts;
• property disputes and litigation.
• To deliver legal advice and input for the delivery of capital schemes to enable achievement of capital delivery programme, as agreed with OFWAT;
• To support the Property Solicitor as a point of contact for all internal and external queries on legal issues for property matters;
• To support the Property Solicitor in the development and management of the property and conveyancing provision including processes to identify and minimise risk in accordance with company strategy and in compliance with legal, statutory and regulatory requirements;
• To advise on the legal ramifications and structuring of a wide range of arrangements relating to the company’s statutory relationship with land developers/developments, and the diverse commercial property related projects, transactions and contracts relevant to this area;
• To liaise with the Property Services team and other property professionals across the company, and with external solicitors, statutory bodies, landowners and developers;
• To secure income, by way of legal fees, for the company on conveyancing related matters.
Some knowledge and understanding of the UK utilities industry and its regulatory and quasi-regulatory issues would be useful, but is not essential.
Key skills required:
• UK qualified Solicitor, Barrister or FILEX
• Technical expertise in their area of commercial property law and practice
• General knowledge of law, court/tribunal procedures and legal precedents
• Previous substantial experience working on similar legal issues
Please note: If you are an existing Southern Water employee, you will need to confirm within your application that your Manager is aware of your application.
All applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. You will need to provide evidence of eligibility (e.g. a passport or long birth certificate and proof of NI) and current proof of address (dated within the last 3 months), will be required as part of the recruitment process. If you do not meet these criteria, your application will not be considered
To apply CLICK APPLY