COSTS LAWYER / ASSISTANT MANAGER
Hours: Full Time
The Company will consider applicants wishing to work flexible working hours.
Location: London / Manchester - Office based with some remote working Whilst the post is office based, there is availability for remote working.
Costs Law Services Background Cost Law Services Limited - www.costlaw.com, have grown exponentially nationwide to from a team of over 40 Costs Professionals with immense experience in all aspects of costs law. Cost Law Services, represent various clients and one of whom is a leading legal aid practice on all their billing.
Their broad spectrum of billing across multiple areas of law is based on a sound knowledge of the costs system and the ability to manage client expectations to ensure their cash flow is maintained.
Their work involves preparing bills and costs budgets in Court of Protection, Children Law, Clinical Negligence, Commercial Litigation, Family, Housing & Litigation, Immigration, Judicial Review, and Personal Injury matters.
The company provides a supportive team environment and real prospects for success and promotion.
The Role The ideal candidate will have strong technical knowledge and experience in bill drafting. It is also required for the candidate to have Management experience. The Candidate will have an in depth Knowledge of the Legal Aid Costs and assessment rules; will have experience with the Legal Aid Agency (LAA) software CCMS, and all Legal Aid claims as well as Interpartes (IP) work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide guidance and support to Costs team/ Clients/ Other Assistant Managers where necessary andteam members;
- Overall responsibility for the performance of your Department including allocation of work, billing, attendance, punctuality and conduct. Managing performance using KPIs as defined by senior management and handling noncompliance in an efficient and professional manner;
- Guiding staff who have queries when drafting Legal Aid Claims (Claim 1’s/Claim 1a’s/ Claim 2’s, inter partes bills, budgets and HCCP’S);
- To liaise and advise fee earners and support staff in relation to the variety of legal costs matters;
- Drafting LAA and IP Bills;
- Report directly to Manager/Director;
- Professional pro-active approach, strong client care skills and a proactive understanding of clients’ needs;
- Complete monthly reports to Management regarding team performance;
- Deliver training programs for Kick start scheme apprentices and Junior staff, where necessary;
- Ensure training needs of the team are identified and met;
- Provide legal updates to staff and case law updates to act as a central point for training where necessary;
- Draft training materials where necessary;
- To effectively liaise with the HR team;
- Being a Quality Management representative and assist with audit enquires as and when necessary;
- Attend management reviews, meeting and assist and or manage service complaints;
- Carrying out staff appraisals.
- Business development – looking to market the Company in accordance with the strategic business development plan to increase client base and turnover.
- Keeping up to date and further developing company policy, procedures, manuals and case management systems;
- Involved in Company strategic planning and implementation of business objectives;
- Drafting blogs periodically for publication on the CLS website;
Key Skills Required
- Demonstrate passion and experience in Costs Law;
- A strong academic background i.e. with a Law degree;
- All round legal experience as a Costs Lawyer;
- Clear understanding and application of the civil procedure rules relating to costs;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in drafting legal aid and Inter partes bills;
- Costs Negotiations Experience;
- Experience in advocacy skills (desirable);
- Prior supervisory experience;
- Practice management and business development experience (desirable);
- Business acumen and the ability to market the Company
- Excellent communications skills to work effectively with team members and third parties;
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills and ability to use own initiative but know when to seek guidance;
- Committed team player, self-motivated professional;
- Excellent IT Skills -familiar with Microsoft Office applications, Costs Master and document management skills;
- Ability to mange social media activity to promote the Company;
This list is not exhaustive and there may be other duties as reasonably required.
- 25 days annual leave
- Additional holiday accrual*
- Up to 4 days paid sick leave*
- Practicing Certificate renewed annually
- ACL Panel Membership and Accreditation/re Accreditation/ Reaccreditation fee paid for*
- Panel courses mandatory for Accreditation paid for*
- Access to vast range of training webinars / E-Library
- Automatic enrolment onto the Company’s pension scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- Eye test vouchers
- Excellent progression opportunities
- Supportive team environment.
- Flexible working arrangements/ considered
- Support for appropriate legal awards/recognition
*terms and conditions apply
Cost Law Services Limited is committed to Equal Opportunities and embraces diversity and inclusivity of its staff and strives to ensure that their workforce reflects the diversity of the communities they serve.
If you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please submit your CV and Covering letter to Olly Sufi; Olly.Sufi@costlaw.com.
NOTE: APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY AGENCIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR THE ABOVE VACANCY.