Job Role: Crime Duty Solicitor
Ranked by Chambers and Partners for its reputation for well-prepared, high-quality work, our crime department has been involved in many high profile and complex cases and understand the consequential impact of being involved in a criminal process can have working with clients to mitigate the effects. The department’s specialism includes appealing sentences/ convictions via judicial review, representation at the Court of Appeal and assisting with applications for Criminal Cases Review Commission miscarriage of justice reviews in the Court Martial and Service Civilian Court.
Duncan Lewis was founded in 1998. We are a large and established company employing over 700 staff delivering legal services in over 60 languages. Duncan Lewis serves corporate entities and private individuals in over 25 practice areas from offices throughout London and across England and Wales. Our success in case results are regularly reported in the media and our staffs’ accomplishments are acknowledged and recommended as leaders in the legal directories; The Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners, as a top tier firm and described as a “diligent and professional team that is prepared to go the extra mile for its clients”.
The foundations of our service are built upon four principles: commitment, communication, confidentiality, and courtesy.
What we’re looking for
You will be professional with a pro-active approach, strong client care skills and a sensitive and sympathetic understanding of clients’ needs. You will be responsible for all aspects of Crime work and on occasions, where appropriate providing technical expertise and guidance to other team members. Your role will involve representing clients detained at the police station, conducting advocacy in the Magistrates Court, attending to clients both in and outside of office hours. You will be responsible for a variety of duties including dealing with a full range of Criminal Defence cases both Private and Legal Aid clients and be able to manage complex and sensitive cases ranging from bail applications; serious fraud; white collar crime; murder; drug crime and theft; liaising with the CPS and courts; preparing statements and collating evidence. You will be implementing any recommendations made by your supervisor following monthly file reviews ensuring that these are dealt with promptly.
Key Skills Required
To succeed in your role as a Crime Duty Solicitor you will:
- You will be Duty and Police Station Accredited
- Higher rights of advocacy qualification will be an advantage although not a necessity.
- Must have a clean, valid Practicing Certificate at the time of applying
- Committed team player and adapt well to new challenges
- Previous proven supervisory experience will be an advantage
- Professional with a pro-active approach; excellent client care skills and ability to deal with client matters in a sensitive manner to deal with vulnerable clients and resolve complicated practicalities
- Excellent networking and communication skills with the ability to successfully market the Company and generate new business Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to use own initiative and sound judgment
- Working knowledge of the publically funded Crime work and have the ability to service privately funded cases
- Have extensive experience in handling a Criminal Defence caseload
- Excellent IT Skills -familiar with Microsoft Office applications and document management skills
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- A fantastic supportive team
- Flexible working hours
- Excellent progression opportunities
- Support for appropriate legal awards/recognition
Ready to apply?
To be considered for the role of Crime Duty Solicitor, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button and submit your details along with a copy of your CV and a supporting statement.
The recruitment process will fully comply with GDPR and other applicable laws. Background checks including DBS checks will establish your eligibility to work in the UK and suitability to the role
Duncan Lewis is committed to Equal Opportunities and embraces diversity of its staff. The Company strives to ensure that our staff reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, which is reflective at all levels within our workforce.
We guarantee an interview for candidates that disclose a disability and meet the essential requirements for the post. Please provide additional details in your covering letter if this applies.
If you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please visit our website and apply using our online process for your application to be considered.
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY AGENCIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR THE ABOVE VACANCY