ABOUT POGUST GOODHEAD
Pogust Goodhead is passionate about championing justice for the victims of wrongdoing by large corporations. The firm is at the cutting edge of international consumer claims, including historic settlements in the Volkswagen NOx Emissions Group Litigation in May 2022 and the victims of the British Airways Data Breach in 2021.
Pogust Goodhead is also a leader in environmental litigation. In July 2022, the firm secured a landmark, unanimous judgment from the Court of Appeal that allows over 200,000 victims of the Mariana Dam disaster, Brazil’s worst ever environmental disaster, to seek redress against the world's largest mining company, BHP, in the Courts of England and Wales.
Pogust Goodhead has offices in the UK, US, Netherlands and Brazil. See our website for more information.
Why is this role crucial for Pogust Goodhead?
We rely on our Senior Associates to run our cases on a day-to-day basis. The firm looks to Senior Associates for their insights, knowledge of procedure, an ability to develop a case strategy, as well as their existing knowledge applicable to procedural rules of law. Senior Associates are given wider management and case strategy responsibilities and act as a key asset in the firm’s expansion plans. Our Senior Associates are ambitious and hardworking lawyers who enjoy working as part of a collaborative and dynamic team and share our passion for achieving justice for those we represent.
Role responsibilities and core competencies
- Support the litigation finance team in the modelling, evaluating, and structuring of investments.
- Model the financial impact of current and future debt funding.
- Model the valuation of present and future portfolio of assets (the cases ran by Pogust Goodhead).
- Budget the costs of current and future projects, in close interaction with the Business Development team.
- Support the preparation of investment papers and make recommendations to the Partners and Investment Committees on investment offers.
- Build and maintain existing relationships with key investors as well as intermediaries such as, bankers, lawyers, and decision makers.
- Negotiate financial and commercial terms of funding deals along with other members of the Litigation Finance team.
- Structure investment deals and their respective agreements, with the support of Legal
- Assist in the ongoing management of existing debt funding.
- Collaborate with network to assess strategy, value creation initiatives, and operational capabilities.
- Participate in events, talks, round tables and writing about financing of impactful/ESG litigation and related topics.
What you’ll bring to Pogust Goodhead
- Demonstrable experience in litigation funding, special situations, private debt deals or investment banking (DCM).
- Relevant academics.
- Proven experience or willingness to learn about litigation funding, claim portfolios, law firm lending, claim acquisitions and consumer claim funding.
- Demonstrable competency in business development.
- Working knowledge of data analysis.
- Outstanding organizational abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in English.
- Experience in fundraising.
- Experience in pro-bono or social justice / human rights work.
- Additional languages.
This job description is not an exhaustive or definitive list and is subject to change based on the needs of the business and appropriate experience.
- 25 days of annual leave (plus 8 Bank Holidays)
- Discretionary bonus
- Private Medical Insurance
- Private Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance
- Paternity leave - 2 months' paid enhanced leave
- Maternity leave - 6 months' paid enhanced leave
- Employee Assistance Programme - access to counselling and a variety of external support for you and your family members
- Employee referral bonus, E-bikes and gym discounts, (salary sacrifice schemes) Season ticket loans, 2 days' per year paid CSR / charity days
Pogust Goodhead employee commitment
At Pogust Goodhead we believe in championing personal growth and achievements, but first and foremost, we are also a team, and a team is strongest when everyone feels that they are supported and valued as individuals.
We know that our team are the heart of Pogust Goodhead and that is why we make the following commitment to all our people:
To be a meritocracy with a fair and transparent pay review process
To offer opportunities for internal promotion
To provide everyone with a fair and structured performance review process
To provide a learning environment that supports its employees in becoming experts in their roles
To give all Pogust Goodhead’s people opportunities to influence and improve how we work
Our commitment to building an inclusive workplace
Pogust Goodhead is an equal opportunities employer who believes passionately that our team should represent the diversity of the clients that we support. We are committed to providing a place of work that provides fair and equal career growth and learning opportunities to all its employees. We do not tolerate discrimination of any kind within our company, and we celebrate creating a culture offering opportunity for all, regardless of race, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, socio economic background, disability, or religious beliefs.