Do you want to join Pogust Goodhead and be part of a ground-breaking legal team handling one of the world's most significant Group litigation cases?
Do you want a unique opportunity to make a substantial impact on a landmark case while advancing your career in litigation law?
In July 2022, the firm secured a landmark, unanimous judgment from the Court of Appeal that allows over 800,000 victims of the Mariana Dam disaster, Brazil’s worst-ever environmental disaster, to seek redress against the world's largest mining company, BHP, in the Courts of England and Wales.
Why is this role crucial for Pogust Goodhead?
We are a renowned law firm recognised globally for our expertise in handling high-profile litigation cases. We are currently seeking twenty highly skilled and experienced Associate and Senior Associate to join our dynamic team on a permanent basis.
Not only will you have the opportunity to be a part of this landmark case that has gained significant public attention and involves multiple parties, complex legal issues, and substantial financial stakes.
You will be working on one of the biggest group litigation cases in the world, and you will play a pivotal role in representing our clients and advocating for their rights and interests.
As part of this role, you will be required to travel to Brazil and work closely with our international colleagues and our clients. Due to the extensive international travel that this role will involve, you can be based anywhere in the United Kingdom. Your exceptional legal acumen, strategic thinking, and meticulous attention to detail will be instrumental in developing and executing effective litigation strategies.
- Manage large, complex, and contentious cases, including multi-jurisdictional disputes in a fast-paced environment
- Work closely with partners and lawyers to deliver exceptionally high standards of work
- Advise on case strategy aligned with the client’s interests
- Develop and maintain relationships with external counsel, expert witnesses, financial partners, and other external parties
- Supervise junior associates and trainees and provide them with adequate mentoring and training
- Contribute to Pogust Goodhead’s business developments, including raising the firm’s profile by partaking in marketing activities and contributing to the firm’s publications
- Assist the firm in achieving its professional objectives
What you’ll bring to Pogust Goodhead
- Degree educated from a UK, ideally equivalent to a 1st or a high 2.1
- Min 2-5+ PQE or equivalent with the majority of experience gained in an English litigation practice
- Strong technical skills with proven experience in complex English litigation
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand the client’s needs and an ability to adapt the best-case strategy
- Excellent knowledge of the English civil procedure rules and managing proceedings in the English courts
- Great attention to detail and accuracy to produce work that is consistently of a high standard
- Be highly organised and able to work well independently as well as collaboratively
- Experience in supervising and mentoring junior associates/paralegals
- Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by previous collaborative work with external and internal parties
- Demonstrate a flexible approach to work to ensure client deadlines are met, and clients are communicated with efficiently
- Solid organisational skills, file management, and time/record keeping
- Confident communicator able to work calmly under pressure
- Have empathy and passion for the clients we represent
- Previous pro-bono or social justice/human rights work
- Portuguese language skills
- International driver’s license
Pogust Goodhead employee commitment
At Pogust Goodhead we believe in championing personal growth and achievements, but first and foremost, we’re also a team, and a team is strongest when everyone feels that they are supported and valued as individuals.
We know that our team are the heart of Pogust Goodhead and that is why we make the following commitment to all our people:
- To be a meritocracy with a fair and transparent pay review process
- To offer opportunities for internal promotion
- To provide everyone with a fair and structured performance review process
- To provide a learning environment that supports its employees in becoming experts in their roles
- To give all Pogust Goodhead’s people opportunities to influence and improve how we work
Our commitment to building an inclusive workplace
Pogust Goodhead is an equal opportunities employer who believes passionately that our team should represent the diversity of the clients that we support. We are committed to providing a place of work that provides fair and equal career growth and learning opportunities to all its employees. We do not tolerate discrimination of any kind within our company and we celebrate creating a culture offering opportunity for all, regardless of race, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, socio economic background, disability or religious beliefs.
Apply now and join us in fighting for justice and delivering unparalleled legal representation.